Silhouette Talk about the Oldsmobile Silhouette within...

Heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 PM

Does anybody know how to fix a seat heater that has stopped working? We have a 2002 Silhouette and the driver''s side heated seat no longer works. Thanks for any help!

Old 12-26-2008, 07:04 AM

The seat warmers are notorious for failing. Usually a break in the grid on the warmer. It is a pain in the neck job that can be done in a couple of hours. I took my seats out of the car when I did the job (mostly ''cause it was cold in the garage). You will have to disable the air bags (if you have them in your seats) - the lower back and seat warmer are all one unit.

Corky

Old 12-26-2008, 11:17 AM

If you decide to do the job yourself I can give you the details... dealer repair will run you close to $500.

Corky

Old 12-26-2008, 11:27 AM

I would be very interested in hearing the details, however a friend who is a certified GM mechanic has told us that it would be more in the neighborhood of $250. Still, if there''s a chance I can do it myself, I would definitely entertain that option. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:58 PM

You are correct, I reviewed the dealer quote & it was $500 for both seat warmers. I reviewed the detail in my Alldata manual & it is several pages long. In brief, disarm SIR air bag system, disconnect all electrical connectors under the seat, remove the seat, remove the seat fabric or leather to reveal heater. Either repair (solder broken grid wire) or replace the seat warmer. Reassemble all parts and install seats. Manual gives 2.3hrs for labor - I''ve got it down to 1.5 - I''ve replaced them several times.
Corky

Old 01-01-2009, 07:58 PM

How do I disarm the air bag system?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:25 PM

Below are the steps. If I recall correctly, the CPA (connector position assurance) are plastic locks on the connectors that have to be removed before unplugging the harness - I believe the connectors are all yellow for Air bag system.

Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle''s wheels are pointing straight ahead.
Turn OFF the ignition.
Remove the key from the ignition switch.
Remove the fuse block access cover. IMPORTANT: With the SDM Fuse removed and the ignition ON, the AIR BAG indicator illuminates. This is normal operation and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.
Remove the SDM Fuse.

Remove the CPA from the inflatable restraint side impact module - LF connector located under the driver seat.
Disconnect the side impact module - LF connector
Remove the CPA from the seat belt pretensioner - LF connector located under the driver seat.
Disconnect the seat belt pretensioner - LF connector
Remove the CPA from the inflatable restraint side impact module - RF connector located under the front passenger seat.
Disconnect the side impact module - RF connector
Remove the CPA from the seat belt pretensioner - RF connector located under the front passenger seat.
Disconnect the seat belt pretensioner - RF connector

Install the SDM Fuse.
Install the fuse block access cover.
Staying well away from all inflator modules and pretensioners, turn ON the ignition.
The AIR BAG indicator will flash seven times.
The AIR BAG indicator will then turn OFF.

Corky

Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Thanks very much for all of the info, but I think I''ll go ahead and leave it to the pros. Sounds like way too much to deal with for not really knowing what I''m doing.