Toronado Talk about the Oldsmobile Toronado within...

Guidence

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Default Guidence

I had recently picked up a "barn find" 69 toro that had been sitting for 37 years. The owner did a lot of the prep work to get it ready to drive and I picked it up in Dallas with intention of driving to Austin. After 150 miles of sweet running I started hearing a light knocking sound (I'm thinking lifter) and after a while I stopped for gas and the oil pressure light started flickering on and off. You guessed it. I spun a rod. After getting lots of great advice from a lot of smart people, I decided to spend the money and do a complete rebuild, staying stock. Since this was a numbers matching car with a very rare option set I thought why not even through it hurt the bank. Today the engine removal was complete and guess what? Not a numbers matching car and it appears that the engine is already a rebuilt one. I am now second guessing everything about the car in general and the drive train in particular. The car is still worth investing in for a number of other reasons, but now it is looking more like a fun semi-daily driver rather than a show candidate so I have more decisions to make. If the heads check out tomorrow as true Toro 455s, then I can continue on the path of rebuild. The shop also thinks I might want to consider a crate short block if the heads are good, long block if not and save some money on the manual rebuild. Questions: what would you do? If crate, where would I get one? Stay stock or kick it up a notch on rebuild? If I kick it up, what and also where again can I find it?

Very sorry for the long note, but I'm still PISSED and babbling a bit.

Mitch (the Sucker)

Also, where can I find a Toro oil pan and dip stick tube and stick (Yes, they are F-ed up too)