Go Back   Oldsmobile Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums > Oldsmobile Vehicles > Cutlass
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 06-17-2006, 04:06 PM

Help... Has anyone had a leak at the oil pump shaft seal (at whatwas the distributorlocation)? I'm being told that this is a common problem with the 3.4 and $500 to repair. Are there other common leak locations on this engine?
Old 06-23-2006, 11:32 PM

Well...It was the infamous distributor seal causing the excessive oil leak. I found an X GM dealership mechanic who intstalled the $1.50 o-ring seal for $300 in labor. The head gasket kit cost me $127. I had the timing belt replaced for $41. And, to my HORROR, I was informed that the hydraulic tensioner was leaking (I saw the leaking part) which cost $107 to replace. This was quite an expensive repair![img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

FYI...this is a convertible I paid $2200 for it with 110K miles after talking the seller down based on the oil I saw splattered all over the underside.Along with the fact it didn't pass inspection which I used in to also lower the price. It cost me $750 to fix numerous problems including some PM stuff like trans and coolant service, prior to discovering the cause of the oil leak. I'm into this car ~$3600....I hope it's worth it! I love the way it looks, and drives. Maybe someday it...at a classic car show...I'll say it was worth it!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:32 PM

Tags
1994, 34, 34l, 94, common, cutlass, cutty, distributor, dohc, engineoil, gm, leak, oil, olds, oldsmobile, repair, ring