Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

02 Alero Turn signal/hazards work intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Exclamation 02 Alero Turn signal/hazards work intermittent

Hey all,

I have a 2002 alero and today I went to turn and the signal wouldn't flash at all, not inside the car or outside, and it wouldn't click as well, i got home and started playing around with the hazard button and it wouldn't work either, but it would sometimes. I found out that my turn signals were working intermittently, as well as the hazards. If i play with the button i can get them to work for a while.. any idea what this is? Is it the flasher? If so, where is it located? Thanks for any ideas/help.

Tim

Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Service Bulletin 04098A covers the Alero turn signal problem. This is a very common problem, and the NTSB has also issued a recall on the Aleros for it. GM will replace your hazard button for free. The process should take about 15 minutes.
If you PM me your email address I will send you a copy of the bulletin, or you can search on the NTSB site for the recall notice. I think the recall covers a larger range of cars than the service bulletin, so that is probably the best place to start.

To answer your question, the flasher for the turn signals is inside the hazard switch. The problem is caused by bad solder connections inside the flasher unit.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 AM

thank you. I found the article yesterday and my VIN number will allow me to receive the repair. I started to take the assembly apart as i went out and but a new turn signal flasher thinking that was the problem. I got part of the vent out before i chipped it... nothing a little super glue won't fix But I'm glad I don't have to do this myself!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Thanks for posting this! My 2001 Alero is doing this also. I never know when my turn signals are going to work and when they are not. They might work fine all day and not at all the next or they might work a little here and there throughout the day. How do I find out if my car is eligable for the upgrade?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2001Alero
Thanks for posting this! My 2001 Alero is doing this also. I never know when my turn signals are going to work and when they are not. They might work fine all day and not at all the next or they might work a little here and there throughout the day. How do I find out if my car is eligable for the upgrade?
Just go to a GM dealer. They will run your VIN and see if its under the recall. I'm pretty sure it will be because I also have an 01 and I had it done on mine.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:47 AM

Thanks, I am going to check on that today!

**Update**
Just got back from the dealership. My car is covered to recieve the switch free of charge and I made an appointment for first thing in the morning! I am excited to be able to use my turn signals again soon! Thanks again for the info!

update for 10-2-09: Just got back from having the repair done and so far so good. Hopefully it'll hold up! Thanks for the info!

Last edited by 2001Alero; 10-02-2009 at 01:50 PM.