Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

2001 Alero No Start in Cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Hey guys,

I''ve got a 2001 Olds Alero with starting problems. When it is cold outside (usually below freezing) I can''t start my car. But as soon as it warms up it is fine.

When I turn the ignition on, all the lights on my dash come on, I hear the fuel pump (I think) start up, but when I turn to start nothing happens. The car doesn''t even turn over.

Any Ideas?

Oh, whats up with all the non Car threads?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

All the non-car thread indicate that the owners of this forum don''t care about it. Several of the moderators and frequent posters have tried to get it fixed, but the owners don''t respond to emails.

Now, about the car problem. How old is your battery? Does it start strongly when the temperature is warm? Have you checked for loose connections at the battery terminals?

When you turn the ignition on, the fuel pump should run for about 2 seconds, then shut off.

Which engine do you have, and how many miles on the car?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 AM

The battery is about 18 months old. When it is warm It starts without a problem. When it is cooler (no frost, not below freezing) it starts most of the time, but quite often I have to turn the ignition on, drop the gear selector from park to neutral and then back to Park, and it fires right up. Sometimes I need to repeat this step a couple of times.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but occasionally when I start it, it makes a sound right after firing up. The best way to describe it is if you jumped into a car, started it, and while it was running, try starting it again...Thats the sound it makes, not all the time, but 7 out of 10 times...

When there is a frost or below freezing (like this morning - again) it wont start.

It is a V6 - 3.4L, with just over 105K miles.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:32 AM

Oh, I was going to replace the park neutral safety switch, but I wasn''t sure if that was it, being that the problem is ONLY in cold temperatures.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

I have heard a few people say when its cold out, in the teens, there Aleros will do that. Its hard to say because I have never had the problem, it doesn''t get down low enough here in Phoenix to freeze. I would check all your cables, ground wires, cables at the starter and so on.

Just like Iflylow said, the owner of the site could care less anymore. He doesn''t respond to email or PM anymore and he is the only one that can delete spam threads. So we are stuck with it.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

I''ve got the power distribution and wiring diagrams in pdf format if you think those would help in your troubleshooting. I can''t post them here since the file upload doesn''t work, but I''ll email them to you if you send me a PM with an email address.

Before replacing the park/neutral switch, I''d try to short across it on a cold day (or hold it open, whichever it requires. Then you could eliminate that as a cause. I would also look in the underhood fuse boxes (pulling each fuse and relay) for any water or corrosion that could be causing a poor connection.

The sound you hear after startup is the starter gear sticking. Mine does it also, but not that often. I don''t think it is relevant to your problem.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 PM

if you have problems.. only when cold.. and the ENGINE doesn''t even turn, check corrosion at battery, starter etc... remember everything changes size (metal wise) heat expands, cold shrinks. if your starter is occasionaly sticking, replace the starter, when its cold its probabally not pushing enough power to turn the flywheel, and by putting it in neutral you are taking the parking load off the trans locking the front 2 wheels, if it rolls a little then starts, its your starter, i went through the same thing.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 AM

Iflylow,

I have had the same problem with no start cold. Mine cranks but has no sparks. I have replaced crank position sensor, coils and ICM. Put a new ignition switch in it about a year ago. Key on all dash lights are on and when cranking oil and charge light only lights on. Security light is not flashing. About ready to drive car off cliff. Would those PDF files still be available???

Anybody else have any ideas? Above 30ish degrees car runs like a champ....

Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by carmonkey
Iflylow,

I have had the same problem with no start cold. Mine cranks but has no sparks. I have replaced crank position sensor, coils and ICM. Put a new ignition switch in it about a year ago. Key on all dash lights are on and when cranking oil and charge light only lights on. Security light is not flashing. About ready to drive car off cliff. Would those PDF files still be available???

Anybody else have any ideas? Above 30ish degrees car runs like a champ....
I've replaced the positive battery cable, the park/neutral safety switch, had the starter out and it was put on a growler (I think thats what its called) and it checked ok. Took it to the shop (bad move on my part) and they've got nearly $600 in a new ignition switch and its still the same problem. If you find out anything on yours please post here. I'll do the same as well.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carmonkey
Would those PDF files still be available???
Yes, send me a PM with your email, as the file upload still doesn't work here.

How did you check for spark?
I wonder if your fuel filter is trapping enough water that it freezes solid, not sure if they can hold that much water though...

Quick Reply: 2001 Alero No Start in Cold