Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

2001 Alero No Start in Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:43 PM

Think I have figured it out. I had no spark or fuel. Checked fuse block and had no power to any of the emission controls. Went back to the ignition switch and heated with blow dryer. Car started right up. After cooled off would not start. Replaced switch and have had no problems since.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by fatboy2131
I've replaced the positive battery cable, the park/neutral safety switch, had the starter out and it was put on a growler (I think thats what its called) and it checked ok. Took it to the shop (bad move on my part) and they've got nearly $600 in a new ignition switch and its still the same problem. If you find out anything on yours please post here. I'll do the same as well.
Fatboy, Sorry just saw your response.

I replace my ignition switch and have had only one day below 25. It started that morning but I know not to toot my horn just yet... My ignition switch was not powering the computer, ICM or fuel pump. Check anything that is hot at run or start for engine management. Turn signals would not work either when no start. Check for power at the above fuses in the fuse block under hood when it will not start. I hear that GM ignition switch cannot be trusted right out of the box…. Good luck…

Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by carmonkey
Fatboy, Sorry just saw your response.

I replace my ignition switch and have had only one day below 25. It started that morning but I know not to toot my horn just yet... My ignition switch was not powering the computer, ICM or fuel pump. Check anything that is hot at run or start for engine management. Turn signals would not work either when no start. Check for power at the above fuses in the fuse block under hood when it will not start. I hear that GM ignition switch cannot be trusted right out of the box…. Good luck…
Thanks carmonkey. I've got it in the shop (for two weeks now) and they can't seem to find where the problem is. I'm pushing $1000 bucks with no luck. I'm waiting to hear back from them this morning to see what else they "think" the problem is. I might just tell them I'll bring it home and do more work myself (cheaper that way). I know before I put it in the shop, everything seemed to work ok when it wouldn't start - it just wouldn't turn over.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Default Finally Fixed!!

Ok, after the shop put in a new ignition switch and repaired a few of the wire connections, I no longer had the problem of it not even "clicking" when I turned it over. I was able to start it more often - still had issues in the cold.

So I just got aggravated and put a new starter in it, and it worked! I would've never guessed that was the problem since I had it checked out twice! I've parked it outside every night for a week (low 20's each night) and it fires right up in the morning!

I'm not sure what the deal was with the old one, and quite frankly don't care at this point, I'm just happy I have a car I can start.

I hope somebody can use all this information some day if they have the same problem and I want to thank everyone who posted replies here for all the suggestions.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:13 PM
Default 2001 alero cold starting issues

I have the same problem . When its warm car starts and runs good but when the temp drops it wont start. Its been to the shop numerous times. New plugs , new fuel filter new fuel pump new gas cap . We drove it the other day filled the tank at costco shut it off now it wont start .please help