Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Alero Acceleration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 01:27 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
My 6 cyl 02 Alero hops when accelerating from a stop. Its very annoying! Any ideas as to why it does this?

Old 07-31-2005, 11:00 PM

I had the same problem, try changing you fuel filter. Worked for me! If that don't do it you might be looking at a fuel pump. What mine would do is when i'd really push the car let's say on a highway or going uphill, the rpm's would surge.

Justin

Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM

Well I just purchased my 2003 Alero Saturday 2/18/06 And Monday evening my car began doing the jolting and hopping thing you all have mentioned. I have had the oil changed 2/19/06 Spark Plugs 2/21/06 and Fuel Filter 2/23/06 all changed and again when I drove off the mechanics lot it jolted on my immediately. Now do I go to replace the fuel pump.... ? [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img] My husband was driving behind me and said it looked like I was flooding the car when I gave it gas up a hill, what would cause that??????? PLEASE HELP!!!![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2006, 09:37 PM

Well, the fuel filter was plugged the first time around for me, so when I changed it, it solved the problem(whenever I went uphill, the rpms would go down, then spring back up, the car was not getting enough gas because of the plugged fuel filter). About a year later, the same problem occured, and this time, when I was driving down the highway, the car would start losing power till it eventually quit. And after a minute or so, it would fire up again whilest trying to start it. This time I had to change the fuel pump, and now it runs good.

So, since you've already changed the fuel filter, I would have to say it would be the fuel pump this time. Alero's are known for having fuel pump problems.

Does your car eventually quit running?

Old 02-23-2006, 11:57 PM

Nope, check engine light came on, and I went to Autozone to run "the test" and found out it is Code P0300 Mulitple Misfires but didnt say what was causing the misfireswhich means pretty much anything. But didn't say anything about the fuel pump either. Any more suggestions? No my car doesn't quit running, starts up good, no signs of engine or transmission problem. My husband was following me today and said that he saw puffs of black smoke which he said means its flooding.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:49 AM

It more less sounds like an ignition or computer problem. Another known problem for aleros was the ignition sensor located near the harmonic balancer.

Here is some more info on that: http://www.automotiveforums.com/t488...lero_stalling_ even_at_60_mph.html

I could also be a oxygen sensor going bad and giving your car a bad mixture. At this point my knowledge is limited. I can tell you that Aleros are beautiful looking cars, but they seem to have a routine list of problems!

Old 03-12-2006, 12:02 PM

If it tends to miss under load this would lead to leakage of the ignition somewhere, could be a bad coil pack, sparkplug wire/wires, plug insulator etc....To find the leak you could watch for sparks in the dark as a friend quickly hits the accelerator, or run your hand along the wires and coil pack which could be dangerous, this is my method for finding ignition leaks quickly lol. You would need the arm of that same hand or another part of your body touch the metal of the car also to feel the jolt of the ignition. When your car is revving in the 2800 to 3400 range can you feel the missfire as much if at all? How many miles on the car?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:11 AM

the first thing i would do is check the spark plugs. if the gap is too big then there can be no spark, which in return causes flooding. i would check the spark plugs first and find out what the gap is suppose to be. if ur spark plugs are to old and worn, too big of gap, well, i then suggest replacing them with Bosch or NGK platinum spark plugs. this will probably be ur cheapest route to start. now i am not saying the fuel pump, the oxy sensor or the coil are bad, those are good suggestions also, but more expensive to replace. i myself look at the problem, see what would be the cheapest to try to fix first and then move on up. if i am wrong about my suggestion plz let me know. my knowledge is limited.