Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

Trans Problem (No OD) and Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Hi I am new here andI ama 2000 Intrigue GL owner. I have a couple of problems, first the transmission problem. The transmisson seems fine, but it will not shift into 4th OD. Now lets say I am doing 75 mph on the interstate I have the shifter in D, but the car is running in 3rd gear and the engine RPMs are about 3000 at that speed. If I let off the gas and coast the engine RPMs go all the way down to idle speed and its like the car is in neutral, and if I hit the gas it free revs up until 3000 rpms then it catchs 3rd gear. If I down shift into 3, the car acts normal in that if I let off the gas the gear slows the car down.I've had the trans flushed and I also added Lucas trans fix with no luck. Is this a serious problem or something minor?

The other problem I have is with oil consumption, my Intrigue has the 3.5L DOHC "shortstar" V6,with about 100K miles. For a long time I use tohave to add a quart of oil sometime between oil changes, which is normal from what I hear of the Northstar V8s this engine is based off of. But now I've been having to add a quart every week and a half to 2 weeks. The car doesn't leak oil at all. When I step down on it there is some black sut smoke from the exhaust, but no blue oil burning smoke from the exhaust. Where is all the oil going to? Could it be a intake leak? I've been using Quaker State High Mileage Oil, I also added some Restore a couple of weeks ago with no luck in slowing the oil consumption down. Edited by: IntrigueGL_DM

Old 10-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

WHEN SOMEONE TELLS YOU TO FLUSH YOUR TRANSMISSION WHAT THEY ARE REALLY SAYING IS GIVE ME MONEY AND I WILL REMEMBER YOU UNTIL THE NEXT SUCKER COMES IN. HAVE YOUR TRANSMISSION SERVICED , CHANGE THE FLUID AND FILTER. AND ADD AN ADDITIVE TO HELP WITH SLOW SHIFTING. I PERSONALLY USE A PRODUCT FROM CALIFORNIA CALLED MOTOR PURR. I HAVE RECOMMENDED THIS TO SEVERAL FRIENDS AND RESULTS HAVE BEEN AMAZING. MY ACCOUNTANT HAD A JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE AND THE DEALERSHIP SAID NEW TRANSMISSION $2000.00 . I ADDED MOTOR PURR WITH TRANSMISSION SERVICE AND THE JEEP RAN ANOTHER 92K MILES WITH NO PROBLEMS. GOOD LUCK . OIL CONSUMPTION? THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER MAKES SEEING BLUE SMOKE HARD TO DETECT. LOOK FOR LEAKS . CHECK PCV . CHECK THE OIL ADD CAP TO SEE IF YOU HAVE OIL BLOWBY AROUND THE CAP. THIS COULD BE A SIGN THAT THE ENGINE IS NOT BREATHING PROPERLY. BLACK SMOKE IS FUEL NOT OIL.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM

I have no oil leaks at all, and the OBD is not throwing any codes and the engine is running smooth. I keep the chrome exhaust tips clean and shiney, but it doesn't take long for the black sut to build up around the lower half of the tips.

So the trans problem, could it be something like a module or something simply, or is there some serious internal problems with the OD gear?