General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

mysterious oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Default mysterious oil problem

i have a 1974 olds 455 in my 85 cutlass supreme that i rebuilt recently, after puting the motor in the car it was running well, wasnt smoking too much, it was breaking in still and one day while it was running i was watching and listening, it started running rough and all the sudden started pouring out white smoke (just like that). later came to find out the head gaskets were leaking. the transmission was shot but i had it in the car to run the motor to act as a support. The radiator fluid turned brown and had trans fluid in it, so what i thaugh.t the problem was the trans fluid in the radiator was leaking into the cylinders and burning making the white smoke. But before i went to go replace the head gaskets i went to go drain the oil, aaand not a drop came out. I know that all five quarts arent leaking out i checked the pan gasket it doesnt leak it only beads around the front and rear main seal but doesnt leak. the pan bolt is stripped but you can still get it in their tight enough to keep it from leaking. I dont think that the car could burn a hole five quarts from running only five times. so im stuck wondering where all the oil is going? the car never started nocking or ticking but ran atleast once with allmost no oil in it. the only oil left in it was the oil left in the filter. any ideas?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Did you put new piston rings in?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 AM

It was not trans fluid in the radiator, but engine oil. That's where it all went.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM

yea i put new pistons and rings in it and honed it out, it was originally .30 over and i measured to hone it .20 more so it should be .50 over, and i think i put .30 over rings back in it, so idk if it could be the oil control rings had gone bad because they were the wrong ones? also i allways get it mixed up does the coolent lines going to the radiator from the trans have trans fluid or coolant going through them? i havent worked on the car recently so i allways forget.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM

yea i put new pistons and rings in it and honed it out, it was originally .30 over and i measured to hone it .20 more so it should be .50 over, and i think i put .30 over rings back in it, so idk if it could be the oil control rings had gone bad because they were the wrong ones? also i allways get it mixed up does the coolent lines going to the radiator from the trans have trans fluid or coolant going through them? i havent worked on the car recently so i allways forget.