Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

Mysterious vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:51 PM

&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>
I have a 1999 Olds Aurora with 90K miles that has a long-standing, irregular, vibration problem. I am the second purchaser of the vehicle, having bought it in 2001 when it only had 21K miles.
The vehicle experiences a varying amount of vibration (apparently) from the front wheels at between 73-77 MPH. (No problem is experienced at lower or higher speeds.) The amount of vibration is at its lowest when coasting (neither accelerating nor decelerating) but varies significantly from being hardly noticeable to being consistent to the amount of shake experienced when braking with moderately warped brake rotors.
I have had this vibration problem with three different sets of tires: 1) the OEM Michelins, 2) a replacement set of Dunlops, and 3) the current Goodyears (which were provided via a factory “adjustment”.) The problem is better (but still persists) after a “standard” computer tire balancing but will completely disappear (for a few thousand miles) if I have the tires “road force balanced” by my local Cadillac (formerly Olds) dealer. However, this balancing costs $20 @ tire and is hard to justify on an ongoing basis.
The Cadillac/Olds dealer simply indicates that Olds Auroras (and similar GM vehicles built on this platform) tended to be more sensitive to tire balance than most vehicles and I simply need to invest in the road force tire balances. Is it possible that a broken motor mount and out-of-balance axle shaft could be causing this problem? Is a small amount of side-to-side rim variance (described below) enough to cause this problem?
Additional factors of note include the following:
1) When I originally purchased the vehicle and checked with Olds to see what (if any) warranty work had been performed on the vehicles, I discovered that 3 or the 4 original Michelin tires had been replaced to address a vibration problem;

2) The vehicle has the OEM optional factory alloy (chrome) wheels. When the local Goodyear dealer installed the current set of tires, they indicated that two of the rims had a small amount of side-to-side run-out, with the worst varying by amount 1/16<SUP>th</SUP> on inch;

3) I have replaced the front rotors once and resurfaced the rotors a second time without any impact on the vibration problem.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.&lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-46"; urchinTracker(); </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: hcanipe

Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

</>
obviously its not a tire problem . i would suggest checking wheel bearing play. i had a friend with a simular problem and i checked his car ( buick ) and the problem was a bad wheel bearing on the rear. does the olds go straight down the road without any problem and does the problem occur when you turn the steering wheel any degree to the left or right ( ever so slightly ) . even though you may not think its a vibration on the rear dont rule it out. advise.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-11-2007, 08:09 AM

</>
The car tracks reasonably well but I like your suggestion. I will have my dealer check.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Hi hcanpipe,

Were you able to solve this problem? I have a 2002 Aurora with a similar problem...and it's interesting to find out that my dealer is now advising me to replace the bearing on my left front wheel.

I just want to know if this will get rid of the vibration problem (assuming my tires are ok and in balance). It's really annoying!

Thanks,

Ron
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 PM

</>
No, I gave up on the problem. However, I am convinced that my problem is relaved to a bad (out of specification) factory alloy (chrome) rim as I can move the problem from front to rear by rotating tires and I have had the problems with three different sets of tires.

Try rotating your tires. If the problem stays in the same position even after rotating, I would follow the dealer's suggestion and replace the wheel bearing. If the problem moves, it is tire or rim related.

Hope this helps- Henry
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 04-07-2008, 02:39 PM

</>

Thanks hcanipe, I will get my bearing replaced in the next few weeks and let you know if this solves the problem (or at least makes a difference). I did rotate my tires...no effect.

Do you also have this problem...when turning the steering wheel for an extended period of time (such as driving on a freeway onramp), the steering wheel "moves" and requires an immediate correction. Could be the wheel bearing/tires/steering?

I love this car, but sometimes she get's a little "wierd" on me.

Cheers,

Ron
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 04-07-2008, 04:45 PM

</>
No, my problem is simply related to range of speed.

Please nate thatyour 2002 Aurora is a completely different car than my 1999. (1999was the last year of the original body style/size.) Accordingly, it is unlikely that our vehicles would share a problem by any reasonother than coincidence.

Henry

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 10-27-2008, 10:20 AM

How are your motor mounts?I had that problem in a previous vehicle.....
Open the hood, have someone watch the engine while you put the car in
reverse, neutral, drive, etc....... if it moves alot, then it is probably your
motor mounts

Old 10-27-2008, 03:04 PM

Sounds to me like your rims have been chipped or bent. Might need a new set. But be sure, an keep researching it can get a little expensive...