Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Alero blinkers on the fritz

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 09:38 PM

I have a 1999 Alero, and the blinkers aren't working properly. While sitting at a stop light with my left blinker on, it will suddenly shut off. The lever will stay down or up (for a left or right turn), but the clicking noise stops, the interior blinker light stops, and from what I can see from the reflections off of other cars, my exterior blinkers stop. I move the blinker lever on the column up and down, and the blinkers won't work for either side. Then, after about 20 minutes, they start magically working again. The problem is that this only happens once a day, and I know when I bring it to a mechanic I won't be able to make them not work. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about this problem, and what the cause might be. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Administrator

check with the dealership to see if there were any recalls or known issues.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:37 PM

[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]I have the same prob with my 02 Alero...everytime they stop working I punch the hazard light button to get them working again and sometimes that don't work. It hasn't happened to me in a couple month but I know exactly the type of problem your having. My guess is to change the flasher relay out. Good Luck.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:57 PM

I figured it was the flasher, but couldn't find it. I gave up and brought it to a mechanic, and it was indeed the hazard flasher, cost about $90 with installation. I found out that GM issued a recall on the some of the newer Aleros for just this problem, but mine is a 1999 and the recall is for many of the 2000+ Aleros. You might want to check if yours is on the recall list.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:11 PM

you are correct, there is a recall on the hazard flasher. i would be willing to bet if you were a regular at a dealership and made enough noise, they would find a way to get it covered under warranty on a 99.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:12 AM

I have a 2002 Alero and my flasher was just replaced this month in Canada under recall. I was told the recall just came out so you may want to check it out!

Old 03-14-2006, 10:15 PM

yep, its your hazard flasher. GM recalled it 1 1/2 years ago. Had mine changed. Took the mechanic 10 mins to fix.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:38 AM

i had the same prob with my 00 alero. it was the flasher and cost me 30 bucks from gm. if anyone has enough paitience unscrew the screws from the top of the panel with the speedometer and get back there yourself....you may need to remove the airconditioner vent....totally beats paying for installation

Old 06-11-2007, 03:52 PM

There is a RECALL on this item. However, you have to pay for a refundable diagnotic check to make sure that the flasher is the problem. Big pain in the ***. Just do what I did. Spend the 30 on the flasher and do it yourself. Takes about 15 minutes and don't waste your time at the dealer.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

You should not have to pay a dime. GM covers all costs of this recall. Mine was done free at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Alero blinkers on the fritz