Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Alero Trunk - Need More Space - How?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Well the width and the depth will be fine, just the height is no good.
If you don''t go too far back (as in you don''t hit that bend in the trunk) there''s actually significant height advantage (above 17 inches) and the width (between the hinges that swing into the trunk from the trunk lid) is about 38 inches across ...

I''ve taken pictures of that previously for this box maker when I was giving him ideas ...

I thought I had the height but then I realized that even though I have the height IN the trunk, I don''t have the height getting INTO the trunk.

As of right now, I have a 15" sub in a plain sealed box that''s 16.5" in height ... it just slides in, no "give" ...

Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah there is plenty of room in the trunk itself, just getting it in is a pain. Have you tried to put in in through the truck? That plastic piece that is across the back of the trunk, were the striker for the trunk lid is, it pulls off. I don''t know if that would give you enough room either though.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:57 PM

That''s where I''ve measured before, which only looks like it''s about 16.5" ... that seems to be where you measured as well in your pictures ...

I have an empty box that''s 16.5" and I pretended to slide that through the back today ... even if the back plastic was off, I don''t think there''d be any height, since the body of the car is right there (hiding in the plastic).

Removing the plastic where the trunk opens, I found the metal of the car but even that looks panelled. Know if that''s removable?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Well if its plastic it will come off the car but with pretty much all the plastic trim, removing it wont give much more room.

I don''t know how your box is put together but I have heard of people making a box to the size they want, take it apart and put it back together in the car. I don''t know if maybe that would be an option for you though.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM

Update: I decided on a smaller box, so problem solved.
With that said, I'm on a car audio forum where the guy is going to fire 3 subs UP ...
I'll post pictures down the road when he's done ... this is something I gotta see! (I don't even know if it's safe!)

Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

That sucks you had to go with a smaller box, but atleast it fits!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by rustyballs_69
That sucks you had to go with a smaller box, but atleast it fits!
I'm not the only crazy person with this same problem ...
I was watching this guy talk about putting some audio equipment into his trunk (Alero as well, 4-Door) and he's mentioning that he's got 18" high ... even 37" across ...
I'm like buddy, NOOOOOO you don't ... you better check to see if you can even get the box into the trunk, because literally you can't go past 16" or so inches, even if you strip everything down ...
And even with the back seats down or OUT, that part of the trunk is smaller (in height and width) than the opening of the trunk (by the hatch).

After all that, he came back with new measurements and new pictures ... yeah, he can't go past 16" lol

It's weird, because I like the size of the trunk. I think it's pretty big for the type of vehicle it is but with that said, it's just not a perfect box like a lot of other cars are ... for some reason, its got all sorts of weird shapes!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DaVibe
I'm not the only crazy person with this same problem ...
I was watching this guy talk about putting some audio equipment into his trunk (Alero as well, 4-Door) and he's mentioning that he's got 18" high ... even 37" across ...
I'm like buddy, NOOOOOO you don't ... you better check to see if you can even get the box into the trunk, because literally you can't go past 16" or so inches, even if you strip everything down ...
And even with the back seats down or OUT, that part of the trunk is smaller (in height and width) than the opening of the trunk (by the hatch).

After all that, he came back with new measurements and new pictures ... yeah, he can't go past 16" lol

It's weird, because I like the size of the trunk. I think it's pretty big for the type of vehicle it is but with that said, it's just not a perfect box like a lot of other cars are ... for some reason, its got all sorts of weird shapes!
Yeah if the trunk opening was a bit larger it would have been better.