Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

Aurora lights, & more FIXED, yeah!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>

Just sharing some wonderful news… Spread it around!

My 99 Autobahn, my 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Aurora (I also owned a ’97 with no problems like this though others have!) would slowly, over 4 to 6 months develop the following problems:

First the turn signal flash interval would become longer and longer until all flashing stopped.

Second, my dashboard and taillights would no longer come on (lots of fun driving at night).

Third, my cruise control became erratic then stopped functioning completely.

Others on various forums described headlights flashing while driving or after shutting the ignition off. Door chimes a chiming whenever they want… Strange ticking noises under the dash during some or all of these symptoms. In fact many other bizarre, seemingly random electrical disfunctions have been reported that have their common cause in the Multifunction Switch (your turn signal stalk on the steering column) and or the LCM (Lamp Control Module, which contains the relays that “chatter” or “tick, tick”).

Visit this link and print out the pages with step by step instructions (including photos) and if you don’t want to do it your self do what I did, take the print out to your dealer! My dealer, DeFelice Chevy formerly DeFelice Olds (http://www.defelicechevy.com/ ) In Point Pleasant NJ, used the instructions and they work! Here’s the link to the instructions:

http://www.howardm.net/dred98/underhood.php
click first link: "Maintenance: Multi Function Headlight Switch"

My dealer, DeFelice, is possibly, if not probably the only dealership in North America to adopt this procedure… New Multifunction Switches cost $500.00, LCM’s around $350.00. This procedure should only cost $180.00 or so in labor!

I’m an EE. What happens is the grease (which shouldn’t have been put there by the manufacturer in the first place) inside the MF switch gets into the contacts of the switch. That sets off a “domino” effect through out the electronics immediately associated with the car’s lighting systems because of bad or weak grounds and or voltages!

Please send a special thanks to “dred98” for posting these instructions for us on his home page! He’s a member of ACNA and so am I.

Happy Motoring!

Old 11-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

GREAT SITE!

I've got a 71 Cutlass convertible, but I belong to several Olds boards and often run across questions about "them newfangled" cars. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Now I have a place to point them. Thanks!

C.J.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 PM

Thats a dead link now.. does anyone have information on this, i just purchased a 97 Aurora, and the me hanic was kind enough to let the malfunctioning Multi-Funtion Switch slide. It works with fiddling. Or does anybody know the interchange and part number of the turnswitch??
Thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 AM

Now I have a place to point them. Thanks!