Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Cracked Engine Block - 2000 Alero

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Its almost right below the power steering pump. Its really close to the lower intake manifold. I would get a picture for you but it wont let me upload it.

You can drive it to Arizona and I will fix it for you free of charge, you just buy the parts and the beer.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

It could be piston slap. The 3.4 is known for that also. Does the sound go away when the engine is warm? If it does, I''d suspect piston slap. In theory, that should not hurt the engine (according to GM).

Old 12-05-2008, 07:49 AM

Nope - sound definitely does not go away when it warms up. RB_69 -could you send me a personal e-mail of that picture of the oil pump drive o-ringto eghs99@hotmail.com? Thanks much for the help.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Email sent.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 PM

Received -thanks. I picked up the car tonight.

Definitely oil in the coolant resevoir.

I noted oil leaking from the following spots;

Underneath the throttle body.

Underneath the the powersteering pump somewhere. Tough to see with the serpentine belt and all pullies in the way.

For sure oil leaking from both sides of the engine (driver and passenger) RB_69 - could I e-mail a few pictures to you of the oil leaks? I''d appreciate it very much.

thanks

Old 12-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, go for it. From what you just said about were its leaking it sounds alot like intake manifold gaskets. Also if you have a video cam or something to get how it sounds I would like to hear the noise you have.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

How long after you intake manifold gaskets were replaced did this sound happen? I reread the thread so I got everything in my head.

The lifters have to come off to replace the intake manifold gaskets. Now I don''t know for sure if the push rods have to come out or not, I can''t remember, I do know that the intake and exhaust push rods are different lengths. The lengths really aren''t too much different, intake is 5 3/4in and exhaust is 6in, very easy to mix up if your not paying attention. Exhaust push rod in the place of an intake rod = bent rod, or worse.

The only thing with what I just said is you would have known this, I''m sure the first time running the car after the gaskets were changed.

Now that I think about it more, and I''m just thinking in the lifter area, it could be a few things. Theheads have grooves the lifters sit in, if the mech didn''t get the lifter in that groove when he bolted the lifter down after time the lifter could fall in the groove. Now you have a loose lifter.

Another thing could be a broke valve spring, not commen but could happen.

I have to think some more. Send me the pictures and I will probably be able to tell you if the gaskets need to be replaced again or not.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 PM

OK - i''ll try my best with the pictures. They came out kind of dark. The night''s off to a rough start. I was jacking the car up and it slipped a little and caught the radiator. Oooops. Nothing like a quick radiator job. I''ll have to send you an audio clip tomorrow of what it sounds like. I need to disconnect the serpentine belt first. You wouldn''t be able to hear anything now with the whine from the power steering pump. Plus the radiator is off and all hoses. Basically this car is in a world of hurt. I''m by no means a mechanic but I''ll give anything a shot. I''m learning a bunch anyway! Thanks again.

Pictures to follow

Old 12-06-2008, 12:03 AM

pictures sent

Old 12-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Yep I would say the intake manifold gaskets shot. Right there on the bellhousing, the rust color you see, thats from coolant.

Well I would say thats one thing you need to put on the to do list. Now for the noise.

Quick Reply: Cracked Engine Block - 2000 Alero