Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Cruise Control Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:41 PM

I found that the mechanism inside the cruise control on/off switch that keeps the switch activated (similar to the inner-workings of a click pen) is broken. Does anyone know how to remove the switch from the steering wheel? Is it relatively easy to replace?

Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 PM

I have the same problem. I am still working on a correct way to fix it. Right now i have a rubber band and 2 nickels behind it to put enough pressure on the switch so that it stays on when the car is on and it works fine. Looks a little cheap but it works

Old 11-03-2007, 07:45 AM

To keep the switch operational, I popped or pried off the back of the housing and thenstraightened outand re-bent a large paper clip so that it held in the back against the plastic, wedged against the steering wheel, and then bent down onto the switch and maintained pressure. I was then able to slide the clip off to the side and off of the switch without removing it.

However, at some point, and I'm not sure if it's related at all, the cruise control would just shut down while driving. Sometimes I'd be able to turn it backon, sometimes not. At one point, I replaced a fuse in the passenger-side fuse box that fixed this for a while, but eventually, the whole system stopped working completely. I don't know if it's related to the rigging job I did or if it's just some other problem that occured.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:28 PM

My cruise is also shot. Far less frustrating now than when it would just cut out every 5-10 minutes along the highway but still not ideal. Someone told me a long time ago to check a brake pedal switch or something of the sort but I never got around to it. Seems like it wouldn't do me much good anyway now that the cruise button wont' even stay on.