Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

Cruise Control problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 03:07 PM

I am having a problem with the cc on my 98 Intrigue (3800 V6). The cruise light goes on, the green "cruise" comes on in the dash when i set it, but the car doesn't hold any speed. This has been a progressive problem - for a while the car would have trouble holding higher speeds or going up hills, and it's gotten progressively worse, until yesterday, when it won't hold any speed at all. Is my cruise throttle cable slipping or something? Anyone else have this problem? Like I said, it seems like the electronics are ok, the car just doesn't kick the throttle when it has to.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by dankuhn77

I am having a problem with the cc on my 98 Intrigue (3800 V6). The cruise light goes on, the green "cruise" comes on in the dash when i set it, but the car doesn't hold any speed. This has been a progressive problem - for a while the car would have trouble holding higher speeds or going up hills, and it's gotten progressively worse, until yesterday, when it won't hold any speed at all. Is my cruise throttle cable slipping or something? Anyone else have this problem? Like I said, it seems like the electronics are ok, the car just doesn't kick the throttle when it has to.

Thanks.
You need to pull some codes. But you need a cruise control tester (J 42958)
Check these first (for 3.5 shortstar) should help
1)inspect brake lamps for proper operation.
2)visually inspect all fues related to the cruise control system.
3)inspect the throttle linkage/cable for mechanical binding.
4)inspect the crusie control cable adjustment.

You can try and call autozone, I don't know if they have just the standard type II testers, doesn't hurt to ask.
Edited by: lunasea808