Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Front-end bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wutagoalie
Im not sure i am comfortable with the whole pinching of the brake line. I will just jack the car up on stands and give a little gas and try and listen for the noisey side.

by the way, what is the torque spec for the GM axle nut?

i am going to attempt this on the weekend?
The old torque spec was 284 lb ft/385 N.m
The new torque spec is 173 lb ft/235 N m

Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM

Is it normal for bad bearing noise to increase while braking as well? I get the usual humming noise while driving , but it gets louder with braking, and its not my pads and rotors because they are all brand new.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

That I'm not sure about. Maybe someone else will chime in and let you know.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 PM

You are probably just hearing the regular braking sound or abs sound. Bearing wouldnt get louder because its getting slower, other than that i dont know for sure.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by rustyballs_69
The old torque spec was 284 lb ft/385 N.m
The new torque spec is 173 lb ft/235 N m
The new torque spec you gave me at 173, is that an SKF by chance? the SKF bearing that i have came with a instruction sheet like the one you have posted, but it says nothing about torque specs.

Also, you posted that pic for me with the two spots for me to place my two jack stands, ive looked everywhere and cannot find it?
just wanted to have one more look before i get out there

Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 AM

The new torque spec you gave me at 173, is that an SKF by chance? the SKF bearing that i have came with a instruction sheet like the one you have posted, but it says nothing about torque specs.

Also, you posted that pic for me with the two spots for me to place my two jack stands, ive looked everywhere and cannot find it?
just wanted to have one more look before i get out there
Found the pictures, they were in the "this is not my week " post.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Ok, Axle nut is off, 3 bolts that mount the hub to the strut are off, i am having a hell of a time pulling the hub off the axle? there are two of us, one pulling and the other hitting the center axle with a rubber mallet. It wont come loose, keep going? or try something else?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, Axle nut is off, 3 bolts that mount the hub to the strut are off, i am having a hell of a time pulling the hub off the axle? there are two of us, one pulling and the other hitting the center axle with a rubber mallet. It wont come loose, keep going? or try something else?
You may have to get a puller. Its a tool that will pull the hub out but will push on the axle, much like a pulley puller. You can soak the area with something like WD40, PB Buster, any good penatrating oil. Let that set for a while and try again but you may need the puller. Sorry I didn't answer you sooner, me weekend has been long, I had my 25th birthday on the 4th, had my youngests sons B day party on the 5th(Birthday is the 6th), and started my new job on the 5th. I have been busy.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:08 PM

No problem Rusty, eventualy i got it off, but it cam off in two peices. The actuall bearing cover came off and got stuck inside. With a little help from a air chisel, it popped out. I replaced the new hub with ease! Slight problem though. The same sound is still there, it didnt correct a thing. Ive almost given up at this point.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Damn, all that work and the noise is still there.

Quick Reply: Front-end bearings