Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Instrument Lights out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Default Instrument Lights out...

I've got a problem with my 2001 alero (v6) that just started about two weeks ago. I think it is a wire connection problem somewhere (YAY!!).

It started out that when I turn the car on (start it) the dash would be dead. The gauges wouldn't work (Gas, RPM, etc), the mileage display was dead but the hazard and turn signal switch/lights will work. IN addition, when this happens, the radio, power windows and sun roof will not work.

When it first started happening, if I would just put it in gear, or worst case, open and close my driver side door, the lights would come on. Now nothing comes on except for the check engine light, but it still drives fine, and the headlights come on.

I'm not sure where the power for this is - so I don't know if I need to tear the dash apart or maybe just check the fuse box on the driver's side...Has anybody seen this issue, or do you know where to check the power at for this? I think it is just a connection issue as I just had the ignition/keyswitch replaced back in January and I know there were connection issues then. Seems like the Alero's are full of connection problems

Old 03-28-2011, 02:55 PM

I think it's more likely a ground issue that a power issue. That's usually the case when this type of stuff starts happening.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

There are fuses on the drivers side and the pax side, both accessible with the door open. There is also a fuse box under the hood that tends to develop corrosion underneath, where all the connections are. However, I believe the instrument panel fuse is in the drivers or pax panel, your owners manual has a list of fuse locations in the back. I can't remember exactly, but it should be marked IPM or cluster or something like that.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Default Lights Out!!!

well I'm new here and not trying to say everyone is wrong but, go to autozone or a shop that can put a scan tool on your car. I believe it could be the Body Control Module.... you did say the check engine light is on, correct? so start there. Good luck

Old 08-02-2011, 03:30 PM

Same problem. Wiggle key and lights evently come on and then the right service engine light comes on. Took to Autozone and they say it a right wheel speed variation sensor. Don't hear the humming in the hub so not sure its accurate and the light doesn't always come one. I'm thinking igntion tumbler. I have replaced the housing on the ignition a few months ago when car wouldn't start. Car was acting/running fine.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Question The lights r on! ( want is WRONG)

Check engine and every other warning light in the dash is on. While sitting still everything is normal, as soon as you put in gear and move the dash light up like a christmas tree, Thank for the help

Old 09-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Took ignition switch out again and cleaned contacts and reassembled. Working properly again. We'll see for how long "Christine" behaves!