Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Non-start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Default Non-start issue

Hi all,

New around here and looking for advice and to contribute where possible. I have a 2001 Olds Alero with just over 90K miles. Been a great little car. Over the past year I've been having some problems with intermittant start failures.

On occasion, typically when the vehicle has been sitting out in dew/moisture, the vehicle will fail to start. The instrument cluster will light up when the key is engaged, but the vehicle will act as if the starter solenoid does not work (no click). I have replaced the starter (at the dealers direction) and had the same problem. Everything that I've researched indicates that it is NOT a Passlock issue. The starter does not turn and the security light does not come on.

Are there any other thoughts out there? A faulty ignition switch perhaps?

Thanks all.

John

Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

It may be an ignition switch, that is a weak point in these cars. I would also see if there is power to the starter solenoid during a no-start event.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

I would check your ground wires, battery cables, and see if there is any corrosion on the wires at the fuse box under the hood.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Both good suggestions. The no-start events happen so infrequently. Usually after when I am NOT at my house. I will check or voltage next time it happens at home. Good call.

With repsect to battery cables and corrosion, all is good.

If I figure it out I will post an update.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:48 PM

I own a 2001 Olds alero had 190 k miles put a engine 3.4 v6 with 78k miles on it. started no probplems than about 3 months later all hell broke loose constant problems security light didnt turn off than when it did come off I had issues starting. Just like you read you can try to 'trick' the passlock computer ect eventually though you will need to do what I have done which will save you all kinds of fustrating and money. You need to 'cut' one yellow wire that runs behind the steering wheel, or radio or passanger side glove box what ever is easier to get to . You need to have the car running while cutting it. Once you cut this yellow wire the security wont disengage your car from starting anymore. You will have the security light on at all times. You can fix easily with black tape. This was done almost 8 months ago as of December 31,2010 I have never had a starting issue again in the past it was a everyday problem.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

The solution propsed by oldsalerolover is detailed in a sticky post at the top of the Alero section.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:22 PM

I had the exact same problem with my 2001 alero. Took it to the dealership and they put in a new ignition switch and also had to fix the wire connections behind the ignition switch. Now, my problem is when it is cold, it will click a couple of times then it will start - the shop told me that it was also starter issue but I'm not so sure - regardless the ignition switch and wire connections was on of my problems.

So, it could very well be the ignition switch or even corrosion on wires/connectors (these cars are known to have connection issues).