Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Reset Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Wink Reset Radio

I am trying to reset the radio after it went out when the battery was removed to take care of another issue. How do I reset it?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 PM

It's a goofy process that requires you to know what the security code was BEFORE it became disabled. If you don't know that, then you're basically screwed: you'll have to get the dealer to re-set if for you. If you DO know the previous security code, then there are lots of threads on here that walk you through the re-set process. In my case, I bought my vehicle used, and had no idea what the previous security code was. However, I inadvertently discovered that through a process of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery numerous times, the radio "unlocked itself" ...So, you might want to give that a try: leave the radio turned on, and the volume turned up; disconnect the battery and leave it for couple of hours (perhaps pull the radio fuse to dissapate any residual power); put the fuse back in, and reconnect the battery; disconnect and reconnect it a few times by just touching the positive cable to the battery post. This is what I was doing (while trying to get the battery properly seated, and the cables properly routed), and all of a sudden, the radio came on!!! I was totally shocked!!! And, bonus!! ...I've since disconnected and reconnected the battery several times while trouble-shooting some other electrical problems, and the radio has NOT gone back into LOCK mode!!! Worth a try!!