Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Service Engine Soon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Hey all, have a '00 GL3 sedan, V6, etc. I got a 'service engine soon' light that came on, and refuses to go out. I tried the gas cap, switching fuel (I think i got some bad stuff on a trip to Vegas), but to no avail. Is there a more common diagnosis? I know, take it to AutoZone, but our autozone guys couldn't tell the difference between a dipstick and a battery....

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

They should still be able to plug in a scanner. Write down the codes it shows, post them here and I'll look them up for you. Or, go to autorepair.about.com/od/obdcodedatabase/<WBR>The_Exhaustive_Database_of_OBDI_and_OBDII_Engine_Codes.htm.

If you can't find your codes there, just put them in Google.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:03 PM

It's true, I'll do that. I'm wondering if is a not too subtle reminder from GM that I'm past 100K and need my tune up! Speaking of tune-ups, how hard is it to change the plugs/wires on a V6 Alero? I'm getting some crazy estimates from some people...Edited by: redhotalero

Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Wires are easy, just be sure to route them exactly like they are now. The front three plugs are easy also. The back three will take about twice as long as the front three, or maybe three times as long. It's not a really awful job though.

I'd do the fuel filter and air filter at the same time, if they haven't been changed in a while. Both are pretty easy.

Before worrying too much about the Service engine light, check out what that site I gave you says about GM drive cycles. It may take 3 cycles or so for the PCM to decide the gas cap is on correctly, and then it will turn the light out (if that was your problem). Remember, too, that one trip may not equal one cycle.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Yeah, I've waited a few months and it hasn't cleared itself. In fact, when my battery turned into a big paperweight, it cleared itself and then came on a day later... That combined with the code I pulled -- P0131 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1) - tells me its probably not the gas cap. AutoZone printed out a list of possible things, including O2 sensor, running lean, etc. Now I just have to narrow the list I suppose...

Fuel filter is just to the front of the gas tank under the car, right?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Yes it is. You also posted on Automotive forums, right? See my response to you there also.

When you change the fuel filter, before you do anything, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the car for a few seconds. It won't start, but that will relieve the pressure in the line, and you won't get sprayed with gas when you pull the filter loose.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:34 AM

Um, no? I don't think I posted in there, wasn't a 'member' until a few minutes ago - what was the thread name? Wouldn't hurt to see it!

Thanks for all the tips - gonna give it a go tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. Good thing I have a second car in case i mess up!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

My fault, I was thinking of your other thread here...how did things go today?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:23 PM

I didn't get around to it! I woke up to it raining (well, pouring actually) so that put the kibosh on that... And this afternoon I had a work meeting, and a test - figured that I had better pass my class, want to graduate from college and all....

SO, long story short, didn't get around to it. This weekend was my good, open weekend too... We'll see if I get around to it... Still don't want to pay some guy to do it...

Old 10-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Happens that way here too, try adding two kids to the mix... When I changed my O2 sensor it took about 20 minutes because I'd never done it before. Now I could do it in 10 easy. Fuel filter took longer because access to it was hard. There's something in front of it that I partially removed to get to the filter better. I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't hard to remove.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon?