Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 PM

Hi,
I have a 2001 olds alero, I am having problems with it shaking and vibrating, I think it may be an engine mount but not sure, if I accelerate the engine up to 1000 rpm it is fine and shaking goes away, but if I am in drive while at a stop it shakes really bad. Any suggestions?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'm just spitballing here...open the hood and look at the engine while it shaking. Can you see the mounts?Is the motor rough or is it "jumping around"?

This next part assumesyour Alero is likeRWD cars. When you "brake torque" it, the motor will look like it is going to jump out of the hood. Try it in drive and reverse.

C.J.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:27 AM

Hi Texas,
It only seems to do it in drive, but not as severe in reverse. Like I said it seems to go away if the rpm is about 1000 rpms. Not sure what rpm it should be at when it is in idle. I looked at the one engine mount that is to the left side which would be the passenger side if your looking under the hood, next to the radiator surge tank and that one seems to be fine, but not sure about the others. If you have the air on it shakes even worse. And if your on a hill and have to stop it is really bad.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Like I said, pop the hood and eyeball it. Have somebody turn on and off the AC, increase/decrease the RPMs and try the brake torque trick.

Just out of curiosity, when was your last full tune up?

C.J.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM

if an engine mount is broken u would know...the best way to tell is to power brake and if it jumps around then theres a prob

Old 09-09-2007, 10:28 PM

I did the power brake thing and it does jump up some, but how much should it jump to know if it is bad or not?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

A good motor mount will allow some "controlled flex". A broken motor mount will cause it to "jump around". You'll know it when you see it. If you think it looks broken, it probably is.

C.J.Edited by: texasred

Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN; ROUGH IDLE ( SHAKING ) A IGNITION MODULE THAT HAS DIED. WHEN I BRING THE ENGINE ABOVE AN IDLE IT SMOOTHS OUT SOMEWHAT. GM DEALERSHIP CHARGED ME $167 TO REPLACE 1 IGNITION MODULE. THE PROBLEM CAME BACK IN 4 DAYS. I REPLACED THE OTHER 3 MODULES ( 4.0 AURORA ) MYSELF FOR $125 AND HAVE HAD NO FURTHER PROBLEMS . THESE MODULES ARE EASILY ACCESSABLE ON MY ENGINE , NOT SURE ABOUT YOURS . I GUESS GM DEALERSHIP JUST WANTED $167 BUCKS ANOTHER TIME. THE AUTO PARTS STORE SAID THAT WHEN THEY SELL 1 MODULE THEY KNOW THE PURCHASER WILL BE BACK SHORTLY. SHORT STORY LONG - REPLACE ALL MODULES AND COMPLETELY ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK.