Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

speedometer sticks and it shifts hard

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Angry speedometer sticks and it shifts hard

we have an 02 alero, does anyone know why the speedometer will delay and the rpm's be fine? when it does this it shifts hard too. we've had nothing but problems with this car. i also would like to know how to change the hazard relay, our signals work when they want to. does anyone have issues with the front end? we've put all new up front and still have squeaking coming from the brakes, the only thing i haven't replaced are the calipers. we change wheel bearings twice a year too. i need some advice on getting these bugs worked out. please help.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

The hazard relay is probably covered under a recall the NTSB did. The flasher inside it fails due to bad solder joints, causing the turn signals to not work. GM should change it for you for free. Search the NTSB website for Alero recalls, you will find the info you need there. If you can't find it, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the service bulletin showing how to change the switch.
As for the brakes, change the calipers. You can get a rebuilt set for about $30 each, and they are easy to change. If the caliper sticks, it doesn't retract all the way, causing the brake pad to drag, making the noise you are hearing. I just had the same problem on my Impala, new calipers fixed it.
Lots of people have wheel bearing problems. The cheaper bearings are not worth it in my opinion, buy the good quality ones, be certain to torque them correctly (beware there are different torques specified by different manufacterers) and they should last for more than a few years. Also, be certain it is the bearing that is bad, water in the ABS connector, or a broken/corroded ABS sensor wire can also cause ABS/Trac Off lights. (I assume that is why you are changing the bearings)