Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Transmission drain/fill or flush?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:18 PM

So my 2000 Alero just ticket over 105k miles, and I'm wanting to get some hopefully 'preventative' maintenance done on her -- I purchased her with 78k, and I drive normal, sometimes spirited... I need to get her into a shop to have the tranny fluid checked, since we can't access it with a dipstick (stupid design!)

I've read about the pros/cons with flushing and all, but wanted your opinions/experiences -- any help would be great!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

I changed mine when I bought it, at about 65K miles. Has yours been changed before you bought it? If so, changing should be okay. I would not flush it, though. It tends to loosen gunk that then plugs passages.

If it has never been changed, I wouldn't do it.

There is a plug on the side of the tranny that can be removed, then fill until fluid runs out the plug. It is then full-stupid design for sure.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:29 PM

Wish I knew - I got it from a small dealer in my hometown, and he got it off someone in town.... That was two years ago, so unless he keeps meticulous records and knows how to track that person down, then I'm out of luck.... I would like to think that it has been changed -- it was in fantastic shape when I got it, looked like they took care of it, engine too...

Why not change it if it hasn't ever been? Even if it is just doping the pan and replacing the filter?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

PULL THE PAN , CHANGE THE FILTER , ADD NEW PRESCRIBED FLUID AND A TRANSMISSION ADDITIVE TO ENHANCE SHIFTING . MY FAVORITE IS MOTOR PURR. IT WORKS GREAT , A TRANSMISSION WITH 200K SHIFTS LIKE A ROCK. FLUSH EQUALS MONEY THROWN OUT THE WINDOW AT 90 MILES PER HOUR.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

If you change the fluid now, and it has never been changed, the new fluid will loosen the gunk that has built up. This gunk then plugs the very tiny passages, causing all sorts of problems.

I admit this is a matter or opinion (see Ilikecars post above), but personally, I would leave it alone if it has never been changed. Check the back of the owners manual, some people actually do record maintenance in the section provided for that purpose.