Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

Aurora 3.5L Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 PM

I have the 2001 4.0 8cylinder Aurora, and if I can remember correctly during my tune up when the coil packs were removed, there was a front and a rear coil pack which contained 4 ports each. Believe in the 6 cylinder you have 3 spark ports per coil pack..

Old 08-28-2007, 02:23 PM

The tuneup on the 3.5 is replacing the spark plugs,you will need to
remove the coil cassettes for each bank,the spark plugs are located
under the coils,the cassettes are removed by the six bolts holding them
in place,the spark plug boots come out with the coils and do not need
replacing unless damaged.

Replace the air filter,fuel filter,and clean the throttlebody,thats all there is to it on the 3.5 for a tuneup.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 PM

aight...if you haven't done this already get ac delco plugs, fuel filter, air filter, cabin air filter (if equipted), dielectric grease, antisieze, and coil boots (also if equiped)...coils do not need to be replaced unless defective to put it blunt. They sometimes run boots from the coil to the plug (but they may not). Make sure the plugs are at the correct gap, but they should be platinum so they should be pregapped since gapping can scratch some platinum off the electrode. Put antiseize on your plug threads before you put the back into the heads (this will be very helpfull next tuneup)...but dielectric grease on the what ever connects to the plug (be it coil boots or coils themselves)...this will ensure a good connection and good conductivity...replace your air filter and pcv valve...replace your fuel filter...replace your cabin air filter...keep up on your oil changes...you wanna maintain the motor some more? run a fuel injector or fuel system cleaner every oil change...i use lucas becuase of the upper cylinder lubricant...techron is good...redline is good...and seafoam is also very good...switch to syntheic oil...it cools better and does not become to thin or to thick and leave deposits...when you do your tune up it would be a good idea to rotate your tires and lube the whole chassis if it hasn't been done...cleaning the throttle body is not a typical part of a tune up but by all means it will not hurt anything and if you really care about your car it would be a good thing to do...you can also pick up some mass air sensor cleaner (which is fairly new on the market) and clean your mass air also)...