Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

Drivetrain moan at speed?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:44 PM

I have a 95'' Aurora with 185,000 miles. I drive on the highway a lot. I love the car since I got it two years ago. I have been really good about maintaining it myself. But, this issue has me baffled: I have a very loud and annoying groan coming from the front drive train. It varies with the car''s speed (not engine RPM). The faster you drive, the higher the frequency and pitch. At highway speed, I feel like I am flying a single engine airplane (its that loud). I was told by one mechanic that is was the outer wheel bearings. I replaced both of them with two units I pulled from a wreck at a yard. The problem did not</span> go away. I even replaced the tires and got an alignment. No luck. Here is the fun part, if I turn a hard right at speed, the noise almost completely vanishes! As soon as I straiten the wheel, its back. It won''t do that turning left.

Did I get a bad set of bearings off the wreck at the yard?
Could it be a u-joint* on one of the drive axles? (*no torn boots)
Has anyone had this issue before? (I looked through the history of the forum, and did not see much related to the older Auroras like mine.)

Old 09-18-2008, 03:28 PM

I have a 01 aurora and had the same problem. Same type of noise which increased with speed. The solution for my car was the wheel bearing on the front passengers side. Don''t know if the 95 is made the same, but the bearings for the later models come in a whole unit. Since you brought yours from the junk yard I would consider getting a new set or at least switch the bearings to the opposite side, hard to believe you got two bad bearings.