Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

85' cutlass supreme starter/electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Default 85' cutlass supreme starter/electrical problem?

Eugh.... so I am beyond frustrated at this point.... thought I had it fixed... now still not working....

A couple weeks ago I was removing my A/C compressor, and like an IDIOT I did not disconnect my battery cable. I had my alternator unbolted to get to the A/C and it slipped and accidentally grounded out. Sparks shot out where it grounded out, then 1 second later, sparks came out of my battery. (GREAT)

Luckilly I hooked everything back up and had no problems......

Now... in the past week or so after driving the car for a while, and lets say stopping for gas, turning the car back on, the starter would HARDLY turn over, only a few really sluggish turns to get the car over. But even further later in the day (car still hot) would have 0 problems getting it to start.

Then yesterday I go out and try and start my car (cold) and the car will not crank at all. the car will turn "ON" and my headlights/radio/dome/ everything electrical works, but when i try and "Start" the car, i get NOTHING. no clicks, no turning, nothing. just silence.

Take my battery, alternator and starter to AutoZone to have them checked. Everything "passes"...

Already I am at a loss on what to do.... I check all connections for continuity using my voltmeter, I also check to see if the ignition switch is firing 12v to the starter, it is.

So, with the starter NOT mounted, I try and add an additional Ground wire to the unit, just by simply stuffing a thick 4 guage wire in a mounting hole (for quick test purposes) and BOOM it works! I make the connections more permanent by simply tightening connections, try again, BOOM! it WORKS!

YES! I am so excited! I fixed it! Mount the starter back up, w/o disconnecting any of my connections.

Starter mounted, i turn the key and get NOTHING! after about 5 minutes of re-connecting the wires, i try again and it WORKS!

convinced I have fixed it, I take the car off the jack stands, put my air-filter back on everything.... turn the key.... NOTHING!

I have tried putting a "new" Ground, at like 4 different locations.
I have tried putting a "new" 12+ connection from the battery.

various trial-and error arrangements of connections, and im back at square 1.... starter wont turn at all. I managed to get it to "click" once... but again... back at square 1....

Is it possible that the starter is just bad/going bad? or is it my connections? I have literally exhausted myself connecting wires and trying different variations with the starter...

Is it possible the internals of the solenoid are failing? It just doesnt make sense to me why it would work "sometimes"

HELP PLEASE!
Thanks so much!