Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

1986 Oldsmobile Calais work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Default 1986 Oldsmobile Calais work in progress

In my younger days of the late 1990s, I owned a light blue car known as an Oldsmobile Calais. To say it was light blue is to ignore the fact that half of the paint had chipped off, and the rest of the paint was in the process of chipping. As a teen, I abused it. As a young adult in the Army, I took much better care of it, but sold it to an idiot who abused it. My search for the car ended in the summer of 2012 when I found out the car had been completely destroyed in 2006.

My solution, to rescue this 1986 Oldsmobile Calais before it reached a similar fate.The car has some mild body damage for a car as old as it is. Some light rusting and some paint bubbles, but nothing like my original.

I'm hoping to restore this car to perfect condition one day in the future!

Took the car to a local body shop today and the guy was very cautious about how easy it would be to restore the car to like-new condition. Mostly, the problems center around damage the car received in a fender bender from the previous owner. The entire grill/bumper needs replaced (lights are all still good) and at least the front driver's side fender will need replaced, too.

Last edited by Josh Ray; 09-28-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Hi Josh- ive got the same year car -mine has a 2.5 liter 4 banger in it. I did rebuild the engine as it did get a crack in 1 cylinder from overheating one time. It still is basically a good car for my travels around town -i do like it yet wish it had the V6.,Matt -spaokne wa.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Twinpilot001
Hi Josh- ive got the same year car -mine has a 2.5 liter 4 banger in it. I did rebuild the engine as it did get a crack in 1 cylinder from overheating one time. It still is basically a good car for my travels around town -i do like it yet wish it had the V6.,Matt -spaokne wa.
Mine is a 4-cylinder, 2.5 liter, too! I would love a 6-cylinder in it, but I latched onto what I could when I saw this one. It's got a lot of work that need to be done, mostly to the body as it appears the old lady who had it for around 20 years bumped it into a wall or a garage door or something. The body work that she had done to it afterwards was sub par, so I've got a top body shop looking into costs of getting it back to new shape. When I bought it a few weeks back, this car had just under 59K miles on it.

By the way, when I had my 1987 Olds Calais, I took it to Fort Lewis, WA with me and sold it before I went to South Korea. Earlier this year I tracked it down online and through Washington DMV and it had been wrecked, parted, and eventually destroyed in 2006. Sad day for me!