Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

’94 Cutlass Sierra S Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:26 AM

I have a very unique problem with a Cutlass Sierra S 1994...

Recently we had the tailpipe changed out, because well it fell off [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

But anyrate, additionally I've noticed recently that the Spedomoter is flipping out, it will bottom out and you will actually loose power. Now at first I was thinking the clutch was slipping, because you could hear the motor 'rev up'. Additionally the 'idiot' light is lighting up, nothing new here. The ABS light 'dum dum' light has been light for awhile. But no problems have been noticed.

But here's my problem, i've gone through and started to replace the sensors on the engine (temp) sensors, because the fan isn't kicking on like it used to. Friend of mine decided to rig it up to the battery, BAD BAD! I know, There is a very unique 'Relay' that comes out the side of the engine. Attached are some pretty big pictures of it.

But, it seems to me the engine isn't kicking on before 30mph. Additionally the heating is pretty crappy, the engine has been hotter then usual.

Now keep in mind this is a V6 3.1 Litre, side mounted, with an "ALL STEEL" Engine. That is the best description i've heard. Now i'm thinking it's time to rebuild the transmission, and i'm curious if the clutch is slipping and causing this? However this connector does come from the side of the engine that's connected to the transmission. So it's quite possible there's 7 connectors connecting to this bugger, that come from the transmission and one of them is needing replaced. Now of course that will be costly, because it's basically rebuilding or replacing the trannie. Not fun.

So i'm wondering if it could be this connector? I have seen similar stories on here, with little resolution other then "trannie". I was hoping someone could shed some more light on this?

Bottom line is, fan doesn't turn on, clutch slips, engine revs, spedomoter bottoms out when it slips, and well figure out the rest.

I've been searching for this part here and fro, i've called Olds, I've visited every darn local auto parts store for this part. I want to replace it so I can atleast say "this isn't the problem". Now since this part does connect to the fan, it's quite possible that just one of the leads on it is fried, and I need to replace the lead, I haven't bothered putting a voltage meter on it. I was hoping someone could give a few suggestions before I run down that road, to find out worse news.

Thanks, and I hope that's enough information.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:34 AM

BTW,

Only problem that i've noticed is that it's a 7 pin connector, and everyone says the only come in 5 and 6.

She's loosing power whenever the spedomoter goes out, but then she rights herself. Sputting, freaking out, and trying again. If i can get her up to freeway speeds, and the autoclutch to drop, she's fine for awhile. But this pin connector, is what's bothering me. Even GM isn't even able to find this 7 pin connector.

Has anyone ever SEEN the 7 pin.

If you have, do you know what it's called, so I can ask for when I call up, and if you know where to find it, what is their number and will they ship it?

Note, 7 wires coming out, 2 go into the fan, all 7 go back to the ECM.

Also note,PED is the only markings found on the connector. I'm starting to think it stands for Peremantly Evil Device.