Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

94 Cutlass Supreme Compressor Smoked!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM

Hi Everybody!

Maybe some kind hearted soul(s) can help me out. I am a proud owner of a '94 Cutlass Supreme S 3.1L . Recently I decided to replace the factory compressor which was bad, AND noisy. It was DEFINITELY the compressor that was bad. I ordered a brand new Comp. got the PAG oil and R-134a and successfully replaced it, the serpentine, and the cracked tensioner arm (as well as the Accum. and Orifice Tube). I evaced the system, vacuumed it then replaced all the components with the Accum. going in last (I realize now I should have vacuumed a closed circuit! but I am hoping there is still time)

All seemed well. I fired up the Olds, and proceeded to add 1 can of refrigerant. Everything was working great, cold air and all. I noticed a slight clicking noise that seemed to be coming from the tensioner, and I continued to monitor it. By the end of the can of refrig. The car got louder, and I smelled what smelled maybe like burning oil. I immediately shut the car down, and saw the compressor barely smoking, but smoking just the same.

What are the odds that I might be able to salvage this comp?

More specifically can I get some input on what might have happened so I can figure out how best to proceed?

It should be noted that:

I used 4oz. PAG 100 in the comp.
I vacuumed before I broke the lines down for the install.
I charged with 1 12oz. can R-134a
I installed a new tensioner and belt
I installed orifice tube

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Slappy