Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

95 Cutless Supreme Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Default 95 Cutless Supreme Sedan

Hi Guys,

I just got my mitts on a 95 Cutless Supreme. It has the premium wheels which are 16". Those tires look to be a bit pricey. If I were to buy new rims could I put 15" inch wheels on? I would think that I could since the 15s were standard but I'm wondering if there will be any issues.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yes you could put the 15s on, but 15 inch tires are not that much cheaper than 16s, especially counting what you would have to spend for the 15 inch rims themselves.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:25 PM

You have to be careful with that as a lot of times with the wheel upgrade they also did the brakes and the calipers may not clear the 15" rims.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Thanks guys. We wound up getting 2 new 16" for the front. Only $70 a pop from Wal-Mart. I really cannot complain about the price. My buddy was talking like they would be over $100 a tire.

Had the new car into our mechanic for inspection and it wouldn't pass. We need a tie rod and caliber on the drivers side. That will get it to pass state inspection. Is it normal to need both one side like that? I always thought you replaced the tire rods at the same time.

He also told us we need struts in the back which I figured from how it handled. The brake lines are also rusted. He said they probably should be replaced for safety but that it's an expensive job (~$500) and the car probably isn't worth it. He says it's a big bucket of rust underneath and that coupled with the oil leak just run it until it dies. I'll see how it holds up over the summer. If she's reliable I'll get the brake lines done and maybe the struts in time for winter.

The mechanic also mentioned something about a large spring in the rear that's shot. I knew there was something with the suspension from day 1 but didn't realize there was something else aside from the struts. He called around a couple of junk yards and couldn't find one any ideas on a source?

Sorry for the long post, I'm just kind of pissed off at the condition the car is in. For what I paid for it I really cannot complain but I didn't expect to have to sink a grand into just to get it up to par from a safety stand point.

Can yous confirm that there are indeed struts in the back? I had another W platform car ('92 Regal) and remember struts being on the front but the back had regular old shocks.

Last edited by Big Dan; 05-19-2010 at 04:20 PM.