Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Cutlass Expert Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Default Cutlass Expert Needed!

Hey race fans,

I have a '97 Supreme with the 3.1L in it, and I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck. I'm not 100% techno-savvy so it would be nice to have someone teach me a thing or two about what I can do with this car.

I want to:
-Strengthen my chassis (My buddy suggested fabricating rather than trying to find an aftermarket part)

-INCREASE HP AND TORQUE (I've already got an intake and exhaust, considering a port polish but simple suggestions WOULD BE AMAZING)

-Possibly a functional hood scoop/vent (I hate a hot engine compartment, also hate ugly scoops so I'd prefer something subtle)
>I'm quite good with body work and my Dad is a glassman

Finally,IS IT WORTH MY TIME?
P.S. I love working on it, time and effort are not a factor.

Last edited by 97SL; 05-26-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: PAGE LAYOUT!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

http://wot-tech.com/shop/3100/cat_32.html

You would probably have to make something for the chassis, I don't think anyone makes anything.

Its only worth your time if you want to do it. Doesn't really matter what someone else says about it. Its your car so you can do whatever you want to it.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Talking

I totally see what you mean, but I meant more like will this car copp out on me after another 50k? Or will I actually be able to enjoy my handiwork? I understand that every car is different and it could die on me tomorrow, but my Dad spoke to a guy who was still driving his after 400,000km!!!THANK YOU so much for that link by the way, I'm really pleased with how helpful everybody has been to me so far.

P.S. mine has about 190k

Last edited by 97SL; 05-27-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 97SL
I totally see what you mean, but I meant more like will this car copp out on me after another 50k? Or will I actually be able to enjoy my handiwork? I understand that every car is different and it could die on me tomorrow, but my Dad spoke to a guy who was still driving his after 400,000km!!!THANK YOU so much for that link by the way, I'm really pleased with how helpful everybody has been to me so far.

P.S. mine has about 190k
Well I'm not familiar with the car so I can't say how long it will last. Even if you take the best care of it things can still fail. I know there are lots of people that have problems with their Alero's but mine is still running strong at 122,xxx miles. Its all how you treat and maintain it.

Your welcome for the link. MRPracing makes parts for the 3400 also but the owner of WOT-Tech, Ben, is one hell of a guy. He will help anyway he can even if you don't buy anything from him.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:22 AM

and you can also hunt in the yards for other parts. I put a crossbar froma cadillac in a cavalier and tied the rear end together very nicley..factory part basically then...my cavy was so neutral I could step the rear out AT WILL.....go around a corner..let off...get on the throttle and she would zoom right out.

it all about thought and fabrication.

I would get a new CF hood over chopping up the stock stuff

Old 06-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

As far as it being worth your time, who knows? I had a 95 Cutlass with the 3.1, it was still running great at 188,000 miles when I traded it in. I did put a tranny in it at 130K, however.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 PM

korrupt1 where would i go about getting a fancy new hood? i forgot to mention mine is rusted through in places and it doesn't seem worth keeping. and keep in mind i'm poor as hell...

i've looked around a fair bit for a nice discreet little scoop or vent too and found nothing pretty much.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 97SL
korrupt1 where would i go about getting a fancy new hood? i forgot to mention mine is rusted through in places and it doesn't seem worth keeping. and keep in mind i'm poor as hell...

i've looked around a fair bit for a nice discreet little scoop or vent too and found nothing pretty much.

I will look around here later and either PM you or put links here in the thread. In AZ we can kinda do whatever we what and so many people make anything for just about anything.

I know your position on the money man...its tough times right now for alot of people.