Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Passkey 2 problem, 95 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Default Passkey 2 problem, 95 Cutlass

hey guys i have a 95 cutlass supreme,i put in the key today and the security light flashes and it wont even crank.it has passkey 2 i tried using my spare key that came with the car and it doesnt work either.should i try the bypass method,or do i have a problem elsewhere? any help is appreciated

Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

The 95 Cutlass (I had a 95 Cutlass also, and had the same problem) has Passkey 2, not Passlock, as you said.
Passkey uses a chip in the key that has a certain resistance, and every time you turn the key it checks for that resistance. Read the article describing the various Passkey and Passlock systems in the first post for a good description of Passkey.

I found on my Cutlass that the contacts on the chip had worn down so much that they no longer touched the contacts in the ignition cylinder. A new key fixed mine. Since you already tried your spare key (which I assume was almost new and unworn) you might have dirty contacts in the ignition cylinder itself. I would put some electrical contact cleaner on the chip and put it in and out of the cylinder a bunch of times to try to clean the contacts a little. If that doesn't work, you may need a new ignition cylinder.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:19 PM

The passkey ignition cylinder has 2 VERY thin wires coming out of it, these are common for breaking one or both wires, usually close to the cylinder itself. There should be a small white two wire connector at the base of the column, if you disconnect it and put an ohmeter between the two terminals leading to the cylinder, it should have no continuity with the key out. Put the key in and you should see some resistance, if you don't, the wires are broken and you'll need a new ign cylinder.