Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:21 PM

Im looking for advise on a 1995 Cutlass, it has 151k but runs like a champ and the paint/interior is almost perfect. A/C, heat, p/w, cc, p/l all work great...but it has 151k on it. it does need a new muffler and the brakes pulsate (rotors need to be turned but pads are ok). I would be buying the car for $1000 due to a death in the family and i think that is a steal. My biggest concern is the high mileage, does anybody know the average life span for those engines? or any other problems I should look into before the purchase?

I am going to attempt to post a picture but I am using my cell phone for the internet so no promises.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:07 PM

be weary of the 3.4L engine those engines arent the greatest at high miles but if it has the 3.1L id say go for it because they are great engines and last 200k plus. Make sure the exaust problem isnt the catyletic converter cuz thats what the problem was with mine, not the muffler. I have a 95 myself and am fixing it up as my first car and they are solid cars and most of them are rust free, mine has 88k on it.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Yes. Buy the car if you want it. change plugs and gap, plug wires, injector cleanwith sea foam, engine flush and put in 10-30 supertech synthetic from Wal-Mart. (it''''s actually mobile 1 but costs $15-17 for five quarts)And maybe some lucas with the oil. Also change trans fluid and filter immediately. Flush not drain. Same with cooling system. Fuel filter.Air filter.Then you''''ll know where you started from. Keep records. I''''ve been running supertech synth oil with a special Fram filter that has a gel in it for 65,00 miles. I change the filter at 5,000 and add a little oil and then change the oil and filter at 10,000 miles.Oil always looks good. Don''t be fooled by the change at 3,000 thing. Use synthetic.Keep everything clean other than the oil, also. Valves, cooling, plugs. Other things will compromise if you don''''t. It may not be the same motor but I have 225,000 miles on my olds cutlass 3.3 and it will hit 100 mph very quickly. And I beat it to near death every day but I do all the things I mentioned at intervals. Edited by: cierra

Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 PM

Oh, sorry for your loss. All that pulsation and stuff is easy fixins. Take care of the motor and drive train and make sure all vacuum lines are good. A break in any of them will affect the engine and performance and suck dirt in. And with the catalyic converter like the other guy said. If your muffler is just loud then that''''''''s not it. Probably a hole. Mine has a couple but it sounds cool. I had a toyota that the converter stopped up on and I knew it was cause the powere was waning. Then one day it just quit running so I took it off and reamed it out with a long screwdriver. This was an 83. I doubt you could do this that easily with a 95 model of anything. Environmentalists and all their crap.I sold this truck 10 years ago and it is still on the road today with no engine trouble.I know the guy I sold it to. So if the converter stops up it won''''t hurt thecar if that''''s it. It just won''''t run.If it ain''''t broke then don''''t fix it. Edited by: cierra

Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM

so i have decided to buy the car, not because $1,000 for this car is a steal or the fact that this is a quality made car. but the reason i am buying this car is because my girlfriend hates it and thinks it is ugly...i love making her angry for some reason and hopefully she wont want to ride in it. thanks for your opinions

Old 01-05-2009, 08:16 PM

whatever floats ur boat i guess...

Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 AM

Go for it, i got one and never had a problem with it yet.