Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

What should I be looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 PM

Hello there.

I'm a teenager doing some research for my first car. I've got a long while until I can actually afford one, but I don't see it as a bad idea to start looking now. I've been interested in the Intrigues for a while now. I'm looking and I'm liking.

Basically, I'd like to know what you folks think that I should be looking for. As in, do I want the 3.5L or the 3.8L? Let me first get this out there: Thenight I saw my parents' first Cadillac (2005 STS)on the truck, I was in love. It expanded when I got to drive it. The Northstar is simply an amazing engine. This is one reason I was attracted to the Intrigue, havingsome of that blood. So right away when I started looking at Intrigues, I didn't even consider the 3800, reguardless of me knowing that it is a superb engine as well. In fact, one of my mom's cars was a 2002Pontiac Bonneville SSEI withthe 3800, and it was a torque monster of course. So I love that engine as well, really. Plus I hear it is practically "bullet-proof."

So honestly, I see it as a win-win situation. While I currently have no intention of discriminating one Intrigue from another just because of the engine, I'd like to know which engine is preferable, in your opinion. Or maybe one should be avoided due to a common failure? I'm not sure, that's why I'm here!

Finally, I'd also like to know what is decent as far as mileage and price. I've been looking on Autotrader andfiltering by a max of $4500 and hoping fora GL/GLS with less than 125,000 miles. Is this reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

A PROPERLY MAINTAINED AUTO WITH 125 K MILES DOES NOT CONCERN ME. MY 95 AURORA HAS 129 K MILES AND IS WONDERFUL. MY LAST TRUCK I SOLD AT 230 K MILES HAS THE NEW OWNER GRINNING. NOTE I SAID PROPERLY MAINTAINED. ONCE A CAR HAS MORE THAN 100 K MILES A FINANCE COMPANY WILL NOT FINANCE IT. THEREFORE YOU ARE THE BOSS WHEN BUYING. THE AUTO DEALERSHIP WILL NOT HAVE ANY BIG MONEY IN THE TRADE WITH MORE THAN 100 K . OFFER LOW MONEY. REMEMBER YOU CAN NEVER OFFER LESS FOR A CAR ONCE YOU HAVE OFFERED.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by JuicyFruit

Finally, I'd also like to know what is decent as far as mileage and price. I've been looking on Autotrader andfiltering by a max of $4500 and hoping fora GL/GLS with less than 125,000 miles. Is this reasonable?
Prices are going to vary geographically but I bought my Intrigue last month for $4770 with 86400 miles on it. It's the GX model but has the driver control, precision control and gold packages.

One advantage of the 3800 over the L36 over the LX5 is simply a matter of ubiquity. Since the L36 has been used in a far wider range of vehicles (the LX5 was only ever used in the Intrigue and Aurora) they're potentially cheaper to get parts and service on. Not that I expect the engine to be a common failure.