Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

91 olds wont start (no spark?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Default 91 olds wont start (no spark?)

hi i have a 91 olds 88 and i can't get it to start. The car was running fine, i was going about 15MPH and all of a sudden it quit, would not start again. (this happened a while ago) I filled it full of fuel (it wasn't out anyways, had a half tank left...) Took the battery out and slow charged it overnight. It still will not start, so i figured, give it a little ether, so i sprayed a very SMALL amount in the air filter (the airfilter is a small one from a auto store, i ditched the original one a long time ago) No start, it seemed like it was going to start once, but didn't. So i got a mechanic to briefly look at it, he said he would have to get a code reader and go from there i said its not worth the trouble. before the car quit it was running fine, fluids all good, no check engine light. I'm sure its not getting spark, i would think it is getting fuel. Starter is working fine, everything else seems ok. One person i talked to said it may be ignition related, and i could basically "hotwire" it rather then spending a ton of money. I have the keys, how would i go about it? (what wires do i need to splice?) Any input? thanks for reading

Old 07-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

If the spark plugs are wet after cranking, you'll know it's getting fuel.
You can remove a plug, lay it on the block and crank it and you will see if it's getting spark or not.
Hotwiring it will not solve your problem. All that does is bypass the ignition switch. If your ignition switch was bad, it would most likely not crank at all.