Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

Anyone ever converted rear drum brakes to disks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Default Anyone ever converted rear drum brakes to disks?

My 1989 '88' had been parked for quite a few years, and when I got it running a few weeks ago, the rear brakes were locked up. I got them to release, but now I'm leaking brake fluid from both sides. The local U-Pull-It wrecking yard has lots of Caddies and Pontiacs with rear disks, and they'll sell the entire unit, 'a-arm to wheel' a lot cheaper than I can rebuild the drum brakes I have right now. Putting aside any issues with proportioning valves, does anyone know if there are any factory rear disk assemblies that will bolt onto the FWD 88's IRS? I haven't done any measuring yet, but some of the cars I looked at seem to have the same type of IRS as my Olds. Has anyone converted a FWD 88 to rear disks, or does anyone know the rear suspensions well enough to know if it's possible. Though I have a lot of suspension experience, I've never done anything more than take the rear tire & wheel off of my Olds, so it's a 'new world' to me. Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance, GeoD

Old 08-11-2013, 06:42 PM

there are none that will bolt up. All GM's that had the rear drum used the same lower control arm and strut. All of the GM models that used the rear disc, such as a Grand Prix, uses a completely different setup. There would be a large amount of modding involved. I'm looking at the same thing, even though my drums and shoes are brand new. I'm ok with lots of modding, but most people are not.