Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Default Engine??

I bought a 82 delta 88 and i was wondering what engine i have. The guy i bought it from said it was a 307 but i was reading up and people said 307 were all painted black. My engine is blue. It is a smallblock v8. Does anyone have an idea, my car only has 37k original miles.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:42 AM

Oil fill tube in the front or a cap in the valve cover? It could be a 305 if there is no tube. I think 82 might have been the last year for the blue Olds engines, but don't quote me on that.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Default digging in the recesses of my brain..

Hey,

If I remember correctly, Olds used to paint their motors blue before the move to 'corporate engines'. I can't recall, for certain, if the corporate engines started out being black, or if they moved to black later.

There was a point where GM decided that having a bunch of different colors was 'too confusing/intimidating' to the consumer, so they started painting everything black, putting every wire in looms, and basically eliminating any color in the engine compartment.

If you can find the block numbers, you should be able to find out exactly what engine it is, though there's always the possibility it's been rebuilt and changed significantly.

Hope the dredging of my brain helped.

Later,

GeoD