Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

Olds 88 stalling problem

Old 06-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Default Olds 88 stalling problem

Hi, I have a 1999 Oldsmobile 88 that has decided to start running rough and stalling on me. I start the car and for the first minute or so the engine runs very rough and I can hear a loud suction noise coming from it. After that minute the car idling smoothes out. I can drive it, but if I let the rpms get too low the car stalls out on me. I just put a new MAF sensor on it the other day, and the after is when the car started giving me problems.

Can anybody help me?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM

alclarkey, Have you found out the problem with your car and have a solution? My eight eight is doing the same thing now. When I slow down or release the escalator some times it dies. Start it back up and then works again. Very intermittent.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:44 PM

What did you do to fix your stalling problem?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 PM

Sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. It could be a vacuum line or maybe there's a leak in the intake somewhere.

If you go to the auto parts store and get about 3-4 feet of heater hose (5/8" should work) you can use this hose by putting one end close to your ear and then probe around the intake manifold area with the other end of the hose. It can help you pinpoint where you might have air leakage.

Another option would be to do a smoke test on the intake. Here's a video that is short and shows you one option to smoke test the intake very easily and cheap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMok2y05jNE

That's probably where I would start. Considering you just replaced the MAF sensor, it's possible you might have pulled a hose loose and it just needs to be reconnected.

Also, if you've got a CEL, get the codes pulled and see what they are saying.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by alclarkey
Hi, I have a 1999 Oldsmobile 88 that has decided to start running rough and stalling on me. I start the car and for the first minute or so the engine runs very rough and I can hear a loud suction noise coming from it. After that minute the car idling smoothes out. I can drive it, but if I let the rpms get too low the car stalls out on me. I just put a new MAF sensor on it the other day, and the after is when the car started giving me problems.

Can anybody help me?
alclarkey, I too have a 1999 88 with 163k. An I was getting all the same syptoms you and many others are getting. I have replaced practically everything from upper engine block upward! Head gaskets, manifold gaskets, plenum and gasket, EVERY conceivably value and sensor (MAF, ICV, CMP, AFS, CKP,CVR, EGO,EGR, okay, everywhere there was a hole I replaced it!) Spark plugs and wires, coil blocks, CAT, all vac lines, everything above and whats not mentioned! The final analysis, FUEL PUMP! WAM!!! FIXED!!! Still is was good that I did all the above (as I did it myself - saved at ton of $$$ in labor) as good maintenance. BTW, DO NOT US AN AFTER MARKET CHINA CRAP! Do yourself and you car a favor and buy AC Delco OEM. JUST DON'T DO IT! Not worth the hassle if it does not work or fail prematurely. How do I know this?! Well, I'll leave it at that! In short I will be saving you $$$ at my expense! Hope this helps! Peace