General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

94 olds cutless/ rear brakes/ assembly!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM

Im replacing the rear shoes on the olds, having problems re-assembling! I have never replaced shoes and brake hardware quite like this before, there is a large U shapeded wire that retracts the shoes, is there any tricks to get this installed on these types of brakes. The book just says the dis-assembly and then to install do the reverse. This looks easy but I must be doing something out of order. Do I need to maybe put the spring on first then the shoes? Edited by: Ryano

Old 05-26-2007, 02:11 PM

This fourm dosent seem to have much activity! Would like to know what other kind of car uses this type of rear brake assembly, the kind that has a horseshoe shaped 8 guage wire to retract the shoes, cant get it back together. What other fourms are you guys going too.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:59 AM

Got the brakes on yesterday, to expand the horseshoe shaped brake retractor I tied nilon string to it and bent them out far enough to get a screw driver under them after that it was easy. Im now moving to the front brakes to check them out, the car has been sitting for 3 years!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

First, Welcome! I'm glad youfound a way to get your problem fixed. Sorry I'm not really that familiar with drum brakes...I hope the fronts are much easier for you.

You might try posting in the section for your specific car, maybe you'll get a faster response that way, although your problem would apply tojust about any car with drums...

Good Luck with the project!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Iflylow

You might try posting in the section for your specific car, maybe you'll get a faster response that way, although your problem would apply tojust about any car with drums...

The Hayne manual I have for the 94 olds cutlass applies to other GM's models ( Buick Century, Chevy Celebrity,olds Ciera/cutlass,Pontiac 6000) It seems this kind of brake setup started in late 1993!

I have a brake spring tool but couldent find a way to get it to fit! i still havent done the front brake check yet, today looks good!

If anyone has the abilty to move this post to the Cutlass section please do so.

Thanks for the input.