General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

99 Intrigue Service Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Default 99 Intrigue Service Engine Light On

I was driving along and stopped for a merge light. When I sped up again to 55-60mph my service engine light went on. It's a 3.5L 6 cylinder engine with 172,000 miles on it. Any thoughts on what it could be or if it's urgent??

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM

I have an Olds 1991 Ninety-Eight and my "service engine soon" light has been on since 2004 (about 6 mo.s after I bought it). No engine problems since. I had a mechanic tell me that if the warning light is yellow/orange, don't worry, but if it's RED, it's need immediate attention. If it's bothering you, then just put some black electrical tape over it

sb

Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

The lights are there for a reason. You ned to go to a car parts store, most of them will scan the car for free and tell you what the problem is. Then you can make an informed decision whether to ignore it or not.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Iflylow
The lights are there for a reason. You ned to go to a car parts store, most of them will scan the car for free and tell you what the problem is. Then you can make an informed decision whether to ignore it or not.
Of course, that wouldn't hurt, but make sure they have a computer old enough to scan your old car. Autozone's computer couldn't scan my 1991 Olds 98. I took it took a "pro" (who had the computer) and $75 later was right back where I started (I needed a computer module). I wouldn't worry about the light. Iflylow is probably a mechanic.......lol...he just wants you to spend your money for a mechanic to "reset" that light (which will probably come right back on in a few months). hehehhee

sb

Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sbbrucey
Iflylow is probably a mechanic.......lol...he just wants you to spend your money for a mechanic to "reset" that light (which will probably come right back on in a few months). hehehhee

sb
I am an aircraft mechanic. I do all my own car maintenance. I don't just want you to spend your money, I want your car to be fixed. That is why I recommended a free scan at Autozone or similar shop.
If you have a mechanic who just wants to reset stuff without fixing the problem, you have chosen a poor mechanic.
It is more expensive to just let minor problems turn into major ones than to fix them properly when they first appear.