General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

ABS/Traction Off/Service Engine Light ON

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Hey everyone, i''ve loved this car since i was younger - i finally bought one. Bought it with 130,000k on it whole car fully serviced, records etc. ANYWHO, i havent abused this car at all - have owned it for 2 w eeks now took it to 120km/h only twice while merging on the highway. Today we were having insane rain, i went over a puddle going 50km/h and my "traction off" "Service engine soon" "ABS" light came on. I slowed the car down, parked it, let it sit for abit.. no strange smells no nothing, i started the car let it idle for abit.. lights are all off. After my training, i drove it back home.. hit a tiny TINY puddle .. and poof lights all came on again... what the hell is going on!? After reaching home.. i did the same .. turn off engine.. restart.. alll lights were off...

sorry for the long post.. its my first car.. i''m really worried right now

Old 02-15-2009, 10:14 PM

to me it sounds like you might have an abs wheel sensor going bad or a sensor wire rubbed thru. check under your front wheel wells for a wire that runs near your rubber brake lines from the hub to the frame of the car. these are prone to odd wear if they are mis-routed because of the suspension flexing and the hubs turning when you drive. if the wires are exposed, hitting puddles and splashing them can cause them to short out. basically what is happening is the computer gets an incorrect or missing signal from that wheel sensor, so it disables the abs and traction control, and then warns you with a light. as far as drivability is concerned, your vehicle should run just fine, but be weary that you will not have anti-lock brakes or traction control at all. luckily, sensors and sensor wires are not terribly expensive, or complicated to replace. if you can replace brakes on your car, you can replace sensors too.