General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Could really use help with a newbie mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Default Could really use help with a newbie mistake!

Hey guys, I'm really hoping there is someone here that might be able to answer a question. I just purchased my first classic olds from a junkyard.
the guy gave me a bill of sale and assured me that would be all I needed to register the car since it was a 1940. Took the bill of sale to the county tax collector and she said w/o a title I can never register the car.

She asked me for the vin and this car doesn't look like it has ever had one. there's not even a place on the dash or drivers door frame where the plate should have been. I know not every barn find car has papers, so how do you fix this?

Any Ideas are appreciated.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

I know in Arizona you can file an abandon car. The DMV prints you a new title for the car and away you go. I don't know how much that cost and don't know how Florida.

Just read this on the AZ DMV site.
If you attempt to register a vehicle without a title you may be required to purchase a bond from an insurance company, which is time consuming and an added expense.
You may have to do this.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Rusty I'm going to try to see if we have anything similar here. I was wondering how people register cars they pull out of the woods soewhere or out of some old barn. you may be on to something.

Even if I have to go the route of getting a bond it still beats not being able to register it at all by a long shot.

At least now I have a couple of possible options.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah there has to be away to do it. It may cost more money in the end though. Best of luck.