General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Few questions about a 1989 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Default Few questions about a 1989 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Alright, first off, link to my photobucket, and Oldsmobile Forum album with pictures of this vehicle. Second, I have more than a few questions.

https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/members/dead-reckon-10301-albums-1989-oldsmobile-custom-cruiser-125/

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...tom%20Cruiser/

Damage is much less severe than it looks, firewall is not damaged, nor is the rear pillar, we measured inside the car, it's the same width as our '86, so, there is no bending, we have a set of doors and a fender for it. Suppose the Hulk, or whatever automobile equivalent that hit it wasn't successful in totaling it. The windshield has a minor crack but it won't fail inspection 'cause it's on the passengers side. We will salvage the tinted glass in the pass side doors. Mafia staff car, anyone?

Anyway, questions, first and foremost, wheels, not "Rims", wheels, functional, simple, no rubber band tires, just 15 inch wheels to replace the blank steelies. Clad with 235

Blank, you say? But it has wire spoke hubcaps. Not for long, I say. They eat valve stems, and I do not want to clean them. Speaking of, does anyone want a set of nice 15" Oldsmobile wirespokes? Free, if you pay shipping. That or they're going in the scrap pile at the junkyard. I hate those things. I use to have to clean them on my fathers '86 as a kid.

Anyway, wheels, what would one recommend for simple affordable replacement 15's? Bullet hole wheels or something, black, not shiny, shiny is stupid on cars you don't clean on a weekly basis, "Look at the brake dust on my wheels!".

Also, the stereo, I know it has 3.5's in the dash with little clearance due to the AC vent, and 4x10's in the back sails. Is there any way to put different speakers in without using boxes? And, preferably, without hacking new holes in the car's interior? I know about the 4's in the doors trick, and I don't think that's worth the interior mess it makes to put them in. I'm gonna find an older dash panel for it, as this one has a 1.5 DIN opening, I want the shaft **** radio opening for a Retro Sound deck, well at first I'll just have an old tape deck my friend refurbed, might just keep that 'cause, who wants to steal a Kenwood Tape Deck? Oh, for the record, the music I listen too is Rock, old Rock, not much new Rock, Metal, and, some electronic music. If that helps you figure out what I need for a stereo. I'm probably gonna put a Bazooka tube subwoofer in the back powered by an MTX amp a friend of mine has.

By the way, if it matters, this car has power everything, power mirrors, power seats, power, power, POWWAAAH! Strangely, unlike our '86, it has rear shoulder belts, a standard fold away third row seat, with lap belts (of course), and the front power seat controls are on the doors.

It has the factory 307, and the transmission has been serviced or replaced recently, it's waaaay too clean to have many road miles on it, the rest of the underside is filthy.

Which brings me to another note, first problem that 307 gives me, I'm going to swap it for a 350, any comments on that adventure?

I don't know what diff it has, we'll find out if it's posi or not though.

Interior is like new 'cept the headliner is coming down at the middle seam. Who's bright idea was it to use two separate headliners? Thanks GM!

Also, what on earth does the third wire on the alternator do? Our '86 does not have that wire. It is a 307, however.

I have a lot more questions I'll be throwing at ya'll as they come up, I hope to have a job soon, this car will be my alternate source of transportation. I'm getting a moped, it doesn't rain much here, it's warm through October (I've had a 60 degree day on Christmas, and no I don't live in Florida).

There are several reasons why I want this car as an alternative source of transportation. Sure, it's not the most fuel efficient car out there, nor is it the prettiest, nor the sportiest (Certainly none of those), it is however, quite comfortable, and the 307 in our '86 has been quite reliable. I figure, if I'm going to have a car that's only driven occasionally, I will have one which is cheap to insure, seeing as it will sit as often as it will be driven. Which brings me to my final question (for now), does anyone know where to get a car cover for this aircraft carrier of a car? (I'm pretty certain you could at least, with a platform attached to the roof, land a small helicopter on the roof and transport it, with a suspension upgrade, of course).

So, if you can answer any of these questions, please do.

Last edited by Dead Reckon; 09-27-2011 at 03:18 PM.