General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

fuel problem help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Default fuel problem help needed

Hello 2 all!! i have a 1988 olds cutlass FWD with 2.8 V6.Multi port injected gas = i had as I thought a dead engine - ?/car just quits sometimes - i have changed O2 sensor, ign pack & coils, fuel pump & filter. Spark is excellent - Have never had any codes shown -ever!! the car -after batt is disconnected & rehooked up= sometimes will start - run a very short time & die!! no restart! must sil long while -day or more .I know there is uel pressure regulator under the intake area. I cant find anything on net about that & how to test? I have checked fuel pressure on the available access port-its good & stable -40+ psi there . also where else can the pressure be tested ? I just cant find anything online on that> any one have similiar problems? Thanx

Last edited by Twinpilot001; 09-26-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:50 PM

Heres the latest on what has turned out to be a fuel problem-Need help =please! the fuel pump runs fine- have fuel coming out of the line to injectors. Within 5 seconds or less -the pump will shut off - like the fuel system is pressurised -yet isnt at all! What is turning the fuel pump off (in tank & new one also)?? is there some relay or what ?? i have no electrical diagram or knowledge on the system. The fuel filter inline just after tank outlet line is also new. Help out an old bumfoozled mechanic here =Thanx 1988 olds cutlass supreme FWD. Gas engine 2.8

Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 PM

I'd suggest take the tubing line off where it goes to the injectors. Direct that line from the pump into a catch bucket. Turn key switch on, see what the pump puts out, and if it shuts off.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 AM

Hi Kevin -thanx - yes i did that - have great flow from pump for about 3-5 seconds -then ecu shuts it down - ther nust be another circuit that powers it when running ?? oil pressure?? i have a oil sender with only 1 wire to it & need to know how to test that ??

Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 PM

Still hasn't proved the pump either good or not. I felt open ending the pump as to "not" presurize the fuel system it should continue to run. Your dealing with obd1 (at best) is there a check engine light?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 PM

The pump is new- as is fuel filter thats inline = the ecm (computer) is corecctly working -it shuts the fuel pump -shortly afteer the key is turned on-2?? seconds?/ Then what i have learned=?? the engine starts & the oil presure sender is susposed to allow the fuel pump to run -contuniouslt - till either engine is turned off =or=?? the oil pressure is interupted (wreck-failsafe). I have also installed a new oil pressure sender - its the one wire type-to sender from wiring bundle.Im getting curious if the oil sender is operated by 12V & shoild be going to dround to activate the fuel pump ciecuit?? The car has an idiot light -not a gague in dash. I know some other cars have a 2 wire system on the oil sender-yet the olds does not.My thinking is ??= if the oil sender wire is either =not giving power to the sender -its not grounding therefore - not allowing the fuel pump to stay running.?? What im worried about is if i check the sender wire by going to ground?? will i possibly damage the ecm unit?? I do not have a elect diagram on this car. something is turning off the fuel pump - it should not stay running until the engine is started.Thanx