General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Keep blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:00 PM

[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]After having about 3 mechanics look at my car, no one seems to know what could keep blowing the fuse at the fuel pump relay. All relays have been checked, a new fuel pump, and filter replaced. The fuel pump would keep running, so we had to take the fuse out everytime we stopped or started, to keep it from running, and now, it just keeps blowing the fuse. Please, if anyone can help, I would definitely appreciate it........need a car to get things done...........

Old 02-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Are you using the right amp fuse? I would think 3 mechs looking at it the fuse would be right. My guess would be there is a short somewhere. I read in the other thread this started happening after you replaced the fuel pump. I would check over the fuel pump wiring.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 PM

We have checked all the fuel pump wiring and it seems to be ok. Do you think it could be in the ignition switch?? The fuel pump keeps running after you turn the switch off, that''s why we had to pull the fuse, but now it keeps blowing them. Thanks for any help.......

Old 02-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I would disconnect the fuel pump as close to the pump as possible, then turn the key. If the fuse blows, your problem isn''t the pump. If the fuse stays good, there is an internal short in the pump, I''d say.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:54 PM

We did unplug the fuel pump, and it still blew the fuse, but we noticed the orange and red wire coming from the fusegoes to the computer and then the switch, so do u think it''s possible it could be the switch. You can leave the switch off and it still blows a fuse that runs the fuel pump.Also, the ignition key is completely wore out so bad we can''t get another one made, would that have anything to do with it??? Again, thanks to any info on this....................