General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

my 1985 delta 88 boggs out

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:49 AM

I have a 1985 delta 88 307 eng, here's the problem! when I reach speeds of 40 - 50 mph it sounds like it's running out of fuel, until I take my foot off the accelorator, it will then run at iidle speed. it runs ok til I reach 40mph+.

I had the same problem on my ford f150, the cure for that was, a transmission module. But, I don't see one on the 88's trany?

Oh! by the way, I replaced the 4bbl carburator with a non-computer operated one. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, AlEdited by: gearshift101

Old 07-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Administrator

have you checked all of the aspects of the fuel system? pump, filter, regulator, so on?

Old 07-26-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick
have you checked all of the aspects of the fuel system? pump, filter, regulator, so on?

this is what I've done!

I took the 307 engine and trans out of the 85 olds delta 88, and put it into an 85 GMC Vandura 1500 Van, with some modifications to the moter mounts. Keep in mind! that their is no computer connected. Then I took it for a ride it ran great for 2 months, then just one I was Driving around town, when it suddenly died. So! I tried to start it again and nothing not even a click, I then let it sit for a few minutes turned the key and it started, But not for long, it died again. I turn the key again and nothing, let sit and it will start, But again not for long. I did this at least 5 times till I reached home.

Then I let it sit for about 1/2 hr, and tried to start it again, and it started, samething after I turn it off and tru to start it again nothing, no click no crank! So now I the allmighty hammer to the starter to see if it had a hot spot in it, stillnothing, so I then Jump the starter, boom started right up, it started up this way 10 times in a row. So now I thought I had it licked! " bad Ignition switch" so instead of dealing with that job of replacing one, Iconnected a momontary switch. starts every-time. But then stalls, So I check for spark to see if I'm getting a good one, it looked pretty weak to me, I then tested the Ignition wires with a meter and got no reading, "wires are bad" so I gave it a tune up, wires , plugs, dist cap, rotor, PCV, fuel filter, air filter, and checked all vacume lines.

The road test: I drove around town for about 1 hr, ran great! then I took it on the Hwy. when I reached about 40mph it sounded like it was choking for fuel with an airy sound like gasping for air. Now i'm thinking carburaoter problem or fuel pump. I get it back homeIand did a volume test I got about 1 pint in about 12 seconds which I thought waskinda strong and maybe to strong, So, I replaced the fuel pump. Take it back out on to the Hwy, the same thing just bogged out at around 40mph so, now I'm thinking Carburater. whithout tinkering around, Ireplacedthe 4bbl computerized Rochester Q-Jet Carb, with a Reman,non-computer contolled carb of the same typetype the only differance on the reman carb is, there is an extra vacume port on the front far left corner, Not sure But I think it's for a vacume line to the transmission module, But this trans mission don't have a vacume type trany module, I guess the module for this delta 88 trans is electrical. there is athree wire plug-plugged into the driver side of the trany, I guess the module is inside the trany oil pan???I really think the booging out at 40mph has something to do with the transmissiom module. Because I had the same exact problem with my Ford F-150 pu about 2 yrs ago. The vacume line to the transmission module was filling up with trany fluid, I replaced the module and she ran like new, hav'nt had a problem since. WOW, just about done...lol with this long post reply. Sorry about that! So Now I'm at a lose.

After reading all that, would you have any Idea what I could do next, like i said I do think it's a problem with the tramsmissiom module.

Now lets keep in mind, when I replaced the carburater that was on the engine from the beginning none of the carburater sensors where connected. and like I said it ran great for about 2 months with-out the sensors on the carb.

Now I've come to that dead end and need HELP!

Thanks, Al

Old 04-16-2006, 05:02 AM

DOES THE VEHICLE STILL HAVE A CATALYTIC CONVERTER IF SO SOUNDS LIKE IT IS RESTRICTED

Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 AM

NO CATALYTIC CONVERTER, I'VE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT IT COULD BE THE TIMING CHAIN/BELT OR MAYBE THE DISTRIBUTOR ITSELF?? KEEP IN MIND WHEN IT RAN WELL, I COULD IDLE THE ENGINE FOR LIKE 1/2 AN HOUR AND PUT MY HAND ON THE VALVE COVERS WHILE IDELING FOR A FEW MINUTES AND ITDID'NT GETHOT W/THE WATER LEVEL BEING NORMAL. NOW! WHEN I IDEL THE ENGINE IT GETS VERY HOT, ICAN'T EVEN GET NEAR IT WITH MY HAND??NOW THAT THE WEATHER IS GETTING WARMER, I'LL BE ABLE TO WORK ON IT.

THANKS,

AL