General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Noise on front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 AM

Ok let’s see if you all can help me out. I have two problems. the first one is that my check engine trac control lights come on. Sometimes when I break it feels like the abs is kicking on but I am not sliding. Usually after that happens the lights come on but they do come on without doing that. The second problem is that I have a noise coming from the front end. It sounds like noisy tires but the sound never changes with different road types an the tires are farley new. I have been noticing it has been getting loader these past two days. I have been thinking wheel bearing but it sounds like both fronts would be bad. The car is a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. 86,000 milesEdited by: jdodd

Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Hubs may be bad. The ABS/Traction control sensor is inside the hubs, so a bad hub can cause the ABS light to come on. Jack the car up, put it in neutral, and spin the front tires by hand. If you still hear the noise (and it isn't the brakes dragging) you probably need some hubs.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 PM

I just had the noise problem with my 04 alero. it sounds like the same thing as mine. I had to replace the passenger side wheel bearing which is built into the hub assembly so you will have to replace the hub assembly.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
I changed out my wheel hub. It fixed the noise and turned off the lights. They do come on off and on sometimes in the morning but I think there might be moister or a bad connection. I have to get under there this week and check out my ball joints. They like to pop every time I turn. I also have a strange noise like I have something rubbing on my tire but after I hit the brakes and come to a stop and take back off its not there any more. I don’t think it is from the repair I did on the hub because that has been over seven months ago and this has just started the past few days. Ill get back on here and tell you all what I find. Thanks for the help.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 05-29-2008, 01:43 PM

It could be number of things. Check your axle by all means. See if the
CV boots are broken and so on. Also check your wheel bearing. The way
you check this is jack up one side so that the front wheel is
completely off the ground and then place your hands at 12 o'clock and 6
o'clock position on the tire. Now see if there is any play. You should
not have any play at all, if there is then most likely wheel bearing is
gone.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/">
</>
< ="text/">
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 05-29-2008, 02:36 PM

</>
OMG, my 2004 has the same problem. If anyone could help it would be great! I've changed my break pads 3 times, maybe 4 in the past 2 years. I've also had the front end noise. My tires are approx. a year old. This last time we changed my breaks, 2 weeks ago, my inner pads were like new and my outer pads were almost completely bare! Along with the front end noise...we're stumped. We, being my dad and I, of course (I figure I can at least get a giggle out of everyone...i'm daddy's lil girl LOL). It sounds like a rubbing noise, like my tires were too big or something. It gets louder when I turn the tires to the right. It doesn't jump when I'm turning or anything like that, nothing sounds to be grinding. It's just loud and annoying. It doesn't seem to effect my allignment or anything like that though...please help out! Thank you!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 05-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by getubistorm
This last time we changed my breaks, 2 weeks ago, my inner pads were like new and my outer pads were almost completely bare!
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

This sounds like the caliper slides are stuck. Every time you change the brake pads, you should lube them well.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Iflylow
This sounds like the caliper slides are stuck. Every time you change the brake pads, you should lube them well.
Dumb question...How/Where do you lube them? I've changed my brake pads a few times but have never lubed anything...:S

Old 12-06-2011, 02:10 PM

The slide pins. Look for the rubber boots and lube the pins inside of them. Also you want to make sure the boots are not torn or cracked. If they are, replace them.