Turn signal flasher inop, unable to find replacement - Oldsmobile Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Oldsmobile Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Tech Help
Reload this Page >

Turn signal flasher inop, unable to find replacement

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Turn signal flasher inop, unable to find replacement

Old 07-01-2018, 10:17 AM
Default Turn signal flasher inop, unable to find replacement

Two years ago, I took my 1976 Cutlass Supreme out of a heated storage garage and the turn signals didn't work. I checked bulbs and they were ok. Next obvious choice was to rather easily replace the turn signal flasher.

My emergency flasher is on the fuse box and works just fine. I have a wire bundle hanging from under the dash with a flasher can attached to it. Unlike any flasher I have ever seen, this one is the diameter of a nickel and about one inch long. It has THREE prongs, that connect to a two reds and a black wire.

Even OPG doesn't have, nor have ever seen this style of flasher can. Troubleshooting this issue to me demands that I first try and replace this thing before I start digging into wiring. Can anyone please tell me what is the deal with this thing? What kind of flasher is it? Are they available? I opened mine up and it has two points and a heating element wrapped around the one arm.

I have also noticed that this can gets quite warm when I drive the car, even with the turn signals off.

I can post a picture if necessary.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:19 PM

One (me) would think this flasher is quite common. Google also thinks such. Have you tried NAPA, AutoZone, etc?

Here is a link for one; does it look like yours? ==> https://www.carid.com/lectric-limite...0&url=13790868

Old 07-01-2018, 05:51 PM

Mine has THREE prongs and is a nickel in diameter. The one you listed is more like a quarter in diameter and has only TWO prongs.

That is the problem... I can't figure out WHY mine has three prongs. Thanks

Old 07-07-2018, 03:49 PM

Have you tried removing the flasher and taking it to an auto parts store to see if they can match it with anything in their inventory?

Old 07-07-2018, 03:53 PM

YES... and online and no one has the my configuration. I have determined that is was most likely manufactured by Bussmann and have a call into them.