General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Who Knows Their Olds Omegas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Default Who Knows Their Olds Omegas?

So I am on the hunt for shop project car and I came across a 1976 Oldsmobile Omega about 15 mins away from work. It has red paint with the white SX package and looks to be all original paint/decals. The floors looks good but the lower quarters and fenders have some small thumb sized holes. 70,000 miles, red interior with white seats, 5, FIVE speed manual on the floor (consoleless). The build sheet is mostly in tack and shows the correct vin, V8 260 2BBL, 5 speed manual, 2.73 rear gears, SX package, etc etc. Car was built in Van Nuys Cali and sold at a dealer in Washington. Has the original radio and even a gauge in the dash "5th gear fuel economy".
I tried to do some research but found nothing about a 1976 with a 5 speed manual transmission so I am looking for some help.
I am trying to convince my father to let me pick it up for $500 Canadian, possibly 400$ if I can talk the owner down. My dad is convinced the build sheet is "wrong" and that once I clean it up, painted etc at work, that I couldn't flip it for any more then $5-6k as those cars are "worthless"
The car has caught my eye and I feel it would be an excellent grab and daily summer driver and resale value with the rare options.
Any opinions?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Lets see...$500 down, several months of work, maybe $1000 in parts, then a sale for $5000? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:05 AM

How could a build sheet be wrong? The VIN is on it, isn't it? Wow.

The problem with the 5sp trans is it's not strong at all. Any power to it or beating on it will break it.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 AM

My dad believes they never made a 5 speed before 1980...
I work at a body shop and just finished a full resto on a 72 rally nova that I only drive on sunny weekends and car shows. Im looking for more of a summer daily driver but at the same time able to sell it and profit some money. All paint and supplies cost me 0$, so possibly 1500$ to freshen up the engine, 500$ in the trans, 500$ at most for the interior and other small things. If i can keep the build under 4g with the cost of the car included and hopefully being a numbers matching what kind of selling price may I look for? Possibly 10g if the work is clean and correct?